Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

E63 racing experience

Hey yo,

I've been reading on these forums for quite some time, but figured I should finally join and get some feedback from everyone.

I'm a huge AMG nut. I owned a 2009 C63 and last year I changed/upgraded to a 2015 E63 AMG S.

I have been on a quest to find the perfect AMG. I live in Chicago, so I experience a wide range of weather conditions. I'm also working my way up in road racing experience. I also own a 2010 Camaro SS (supercharged, 700 Horsepower) for drag racing.

The goal of owning an AMG was to have a daily driver that I could setup for a handful of road racing events. I usually race at Road America, which is a higher speed track.

I really really loved my C63. I do regret selling it. I was extremely impressed at how well it did at the track. Very tidy through the turns, balanced, solid breaking. I would run in the more advanced groups with the C6 and C7 Corvettes and held my own just fine. The car was comfortable from a daily driving perspective as well. Alas, being rear wheel drive and with the intense winters, it was not sustainable for year round driving. I had some scary close calls in the snow, and had a pricey repair due, so I decided to move on.

I then moved on to the E63 AMG S that I have now. The car definitely has incredible brute-force power. The all wheel drive capabilities make it very attractive as a year round car. It is definitely more roomy and feels bigger than my c63 obviously. I thought I found the perfect car.

However, that changed when I took it to the track. The track day I attended was extremely rainy. I was impressed with the way the car handled, especially driving the wet line. The car tracked out beautifully with its power, and only a slight shimmy when the tires would hit the dry line. Maybe the rain got in my head, but the car definitely felt heavy going into the corners.

I was concerned about the cooling with the turbos holding high boost constantly. With all the extractors, the engine oil and water cooled down very quickly, as soon as I pulled into pit lane. So that was a surprising positive.

However, the biggest downfall of the car was the brakes. The brakes started to get loud and began to fade at certain points. After the most intense runs, when I pulled into the pit lane, smoke (not steam) was billowing out of the front calipers. The brakes got so hot that it melted the adhesive on the wheel weights and they started falling off.

Now, I was aware of the obvious: The E63 is a heavy sedan. I knew to expect some of the challenges I experienced. But brake fade is a back-breaker. I can deal with the limitations of the handling of the cars weight and size, but brake issues are a red flag.

I talked to some other E63 owners that track their cars, and they said that changing pads and fluids did not make much of a difference.

So, here I am at a crossroads. I could invest the ~$15k in ceramic brakes, but is that even worth it?

Because of my experience, I am thinking so switching to a newer c63 AMG S coupe. I feel that car, although not as straight line fast, will handle better and perform better at the occasional track day.

Please keep your feedback objective around the performance of the cars. I'm not interested in subjective thoughts on what looks or sounds better.

What is everyone's thoughts? Thanks for reading my long ramble.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wheelman63 Click here to enlarge
    Maybe the rain got in my head, but the car definitely felt heavy going into the corners.
    It's a heavy and nose heavy car on top. The E63 is definitely not regarded as a track toy.

So, here I am at a crossroads. I could invest the ~$15k in ceramic brakes, but is that even worth it?
    IMO? No. You are better off investing in a track car that isn't a 4500+ pound torque monster luxury barge.

Because of my experience, I am thinking so switching to a newer c63 AMG S coupe. I feel that car, although not as straight line fast, will handle better and perform better at the occasional track day.
    That car is not light by any means but would work better as a track car. It is only available in RWD though so you are back to your problem with the all year usage.
    Three sets of brand new 991.2 3.0 headers for sale: Kline, Fabspeed, and Vektor Ceramic Coated

IPD plenum for Porsche 991.2 3.0 for sale: $650

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

0 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Do you have racing experience with any of these cars?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do you have racing experience with any of these cars?
    Not specifically on the track but I've been in plenty of AMG's and have had plenty of high performance cars.

Not sure what would change from what I've said?
    Three sets of brand new 991.2 3.0 headers for sale: Kline, Fabspeed, and Vektor Ceramic Coated

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Not specifically on the track but I've been in plenty of AMG's and have had plenty of high performance cars.

Not sure what would change from what I've said?
    Because until you have been on a race track yourself, you really have no idea. You can bench race all day long and make regurgitated general statements from someone else’s opinion and talk about specs and watch YouTube, but until you’ve actually been on the track, you’re really just speculating based on someone else’s perspective.

Being in a car or just owning a high performance car really doesn’t mean anything. That’s pretty much 99% of the population in the hobby. And when you ask them about the car, they really can’t provide any tangible or technical feedback.

Anyways, hoping to get some feedback from anyone who as actually raced their cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Anyways, hoping to get some feedback from anyone who as actually raced their cars.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

0 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Not surprised to see a meme as a response instead of any actual information. Oh well, ''tis the Internet. I guess it was a mistake joining here. I should have known better. Take care.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not surprised to see a meme as a response instead of any actual information. Oh well, ''tis the Internet. I guess it was a mistake joining here. I should have known better. Take care.
    Just like you should have known better than expecting a 4500+ pound sedan to be a track car genius.

Plus you got your answers with the information you were looking for but instead decided to be a douchebag. Good riddance.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dude is comedy gold:

I know it must hurt to know your car knowledge is abysmal at best. The fact you need to get the last word in my thread shows how immature you are, calling me names because you're so upset about facing facts. I didn't post again because I can see how petty and insecure you are, and sure you would have just had some pointless argument to distract from the fact that your perspective is worthless.

The truth is your constantly exposed for knowing nothing about what you're talking about. Just a tip, posting a lot doesn't make you insightful, no matter how hard you think it does.

Congratulations on "riding in" and owning "high performance" cars. I can see right through you.

Anyways, enjoy rambling on and bench racing about cars you will never afford or own. I'm going to keep driving and racing mine.

Hope you find some peace your life, it's clear you have a lot of issues.