Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Failed MHD Flash Need Help

So I recently tried to flash stage 1+ using the same tablet and cables I used to flash stage 1 without any issues. This time around it failed to write at 8% and just says "contacting the dme" whenever I try to flash a map or read codes and won't do anything. Car won't start now and I've tried everything from using 2 different k+dcan cables (one from bimmer software), using 4 different otg cables and 3 different android devices. I have a battery charger plugged in when I try to flash and follow MHD's instructions to a T. Only thing I haven't tried is leaving the battery unplugged which I'm currently doing overnight. If that doesn't work what are my options? Is there an alternative way to recover the ecu?
    Spent a bunch of money on different cables and hunted down different phones/tablets to borrow and nothing works. Any advice is appreciated.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Press the start button once?
    If you have a charger there is zero chance of failing a flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It happened, and now I can’t flash anything or read codes. Just says “contacting the dme” and does nothing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Only thing I haven’t tried is leaving it on the “contacting the dme” message for longer than 10 minutes but I don’t think it should take that long to start the write.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If its not the double press start button thing it could be your battery. Put it on charge overnight and try again

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Make sure the ignition is on (gauges on) and have a trickle charger on the battery (terminals under the hood).
    If there has been a failed flash, it can take some time to recover.
    Just start the flash and let it rest (if you have the proper cables and phone, it shouldn't be a problem).

I've also read some people had issues with different phones/tablets, but i've never encountered that myself.
    And just to be sure and avoid voltage drop: pull the LPFP fuse and turn of AC, radio and lights.
    This shouldn't be a problem with a proper charger, but the LPFP can pull quite some amps for the half hour it's flashing..

Good luck

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the input guys. Turns out I just wasn't being patient enough. DutchBMW was right about it taking a while to recover. All I had to do was leave it plugged in on the "contacting the dme" screen for 5 mins and it connected and flashed no problem.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good to hear.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That's good news!
    I know it can be pretty unsettling when you see that specific screen for a couple of minutes.
    I had it once and made the mistake of cancelling it (just me being inpatient and thinking something went wrong) and trying to start it: just crank and no start whatsoever.
    Then restarted the flash and those couple of minutes were probably one of the longest!