Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44

Thread: Article: BMW may finally be taking on AMG's Black Series Head to Head? BMW to compete with AMG's Black Series and will bring these models to the USA

              
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    105,943
    Rep Points
    26,021.1
    Mentioned
    1711 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    261


    Reputation: Yes | No

    BMW may finally be taking on AMG's Black Series Head to Head? BMW to compete with AMG's Black Series and bring these models to the USA

    BMW currently has been getting smacked around by, well, everyone in the German performance scene. The M3 has remained basically stagnant while Mercedes continues to improve the C63 AMG with available options to increase horsepower as well as hardcore black series variants for which BMW has no answer. The M3 GTS being the closest thing but that is not available in the United States. And even if it was there still is the SLS AMG Black Series not to mention the other Black Series models Mercedes has released and in the pipeline.

    Click here to enlarge

    So, the company claiming to make the Ultimate Driving Machine has yet to provide an answer for the Mercedes hardcore drivers cars. Even Audi has the R8 (no answer from BMW for this one either, see the pattern?) and is bringing more RS models to the USA. Is BMW just blind? Not aware of the competition?

    At the North American International Auto Show BMW PR employees showed they were very aware of Black Series models from Mercedes and also that their previous hardcore models like the CSL, GTS, CRT, etc., did not make it to the USA. Instead we got a joke of a special edition M3 which is about as special as a standard M3 with a bunch of option boxes checked: Pointless BMW M3 DTM Championship Edition. It would appear this is all set to change:

    Click here to enlarge

    Ok, well, BMW has offered hardcore cars before but they never came to the USA. Instead we get crap left over from the parts bin that BMW calls "special" and people who don't know any better purchase. BMW may finally stop screwing over the American BMW enthusiast:

    Click here to enlarge

    You may be asking, where is this information coming from? Well, from a journalist working for Automobile magazine who had an interview with the BMW M executives for the magazine. Thanks to the Twitter feed, we get an early look and yes BimmerBoost did get confirmation:

    Click here to enlarge

    So, BMW may be getting its balls back. But, some of us need to see it to believe it. BMW has gone soft for so long this enthusiast doubts they can get it up to their classic M standards again.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    314
    Rep Points
    112.4
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Hmm, should be interesting. Hopefully they don't just give it only a matte paint job, a new exhaust, and wheels.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    105,943
    Rep Points
    26,021.1
    Mentioned
    1711 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    261



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mkodama Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hmm, should be interesting. Hopefully they don't just give it only a matte paint job, a new exhaust, and wheels.
    No, this would be the real deal not just paint and wheels like the "special" BS they have fed us so far.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    967
    Rep Points
    1,459.5
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Well this just got me all excited........

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    McHenry, IL
    Posts
    5,257
    Rep Points
    26.0
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Time will tell...
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

    Click here to enlarge


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    855
    Rep Points
    188.0
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    hopefully not priced like the gts

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    105,943
    Rep Points
    26,021.1
    Mentioned
    1711 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    261



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    hopefully not priced like the gts
    This isn't going to be a value... it isn't supposed to be.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    379
    Rep Points
    582.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    sux it took so many consecutive loses at the hands of its rivals to take action...let's see if they still know how to dominate like they used to.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    105,943
    Rep Points
    26,021.1
    Mentioned
    1711 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    261



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedLimit? Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    let's see if they still know how to dominate like they used to.
    I doubt it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    379
    Rep Points
    582.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I doubt it.
    sadly I agree. How did they lose it so quickly?

    Click here to enlarge

    /
    //A L E X A N D R E 1983 Photography///ALX1983.COM, Flickr, Facebook, Tumblr

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    105,943
    Rep Points
    26,021.1
    Mentioned
    1711 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    261



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedLimit? Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    sadly I agree. How did they lose it so quickly?
    By becoming Toyota.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    705
    Rep Points
    556.5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Thinking of sales and not of true value to it's customers. However, in BMW's defense. All BMW's are still the exact same as they were many many years ago. Major advancements in technology with the occasional hiccups of over engineering. The M5 is more of what it should be. The M5 began as car for the CEO of BMW's security guards. Not a track star. Just used as a simple example. It is today what it was designed for. BMW's are still special. BMW is pushing too hard for sales at the moment. Once they peak 2 million sales in a year, I am more than willing to bet they will return to their most enthusiastic state.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    105,943
    Rep Points
    26,021.1
    Mentioned
    1711 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    261



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StinkyM Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The M5 is more of what it should be. The M5 began as car for the CEO of BMW's security guards. Not a track star.
    I disagree with it being more of what it should be. It's less exciting. The previous models were not track stars either but incredibly balanced and also much lighter. It's just becoming an AMG.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    105,943
    Rep Points
    26,021.1
    Mentioned
    1711 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    261



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StinkyM Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Once they peak 2 million sales in a year, I am more than willing to bet they will return to their most enthusiastic state.
    No, it will only get worse like what we see now. I hope they don't get the sales so they are forced to change. If they get even more money by not doing what they should be the incentive is to keep doing what they are.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,557
    Rep Points
    1,998.7
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    20


    Reputation: Yes | No
    This makes me happy to hear that they are listening. This gives me hope to be honest.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    9400' ASL, Colorado
    Posts
    849
    Rep Points
    1,253.3
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Reputation: Yes | No
    We shall see... These special edition cars will either approach or well go over the $100k mark, and that segment is ripe with options for going fast. First they have to deliver an F80 that doesn't suck as a platform to build from.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    1,944
    Rep Points
    1,759.0
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    Reputation: Yes | No
    If its over 100k it will start to have to compete with exotics and not just performance cars.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,136
    Rep Points
    1,769.1
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If its over 100k it will start to have to compete with exotics and not just performance cars.
    You break $100k & you're running against some performance titans that have very dedicated enthusiasts:
    • Audi R8 (V8 model)
    • Corvette ZO6/ZR1
    • Dodge Viper
    • Ford GT500
    • Nissan GTR
    • Porsche Turbo


    Essentially everything on that list except the Audi prob sees similar track use as the M3. BUT then you add in some lightly pre-owned cars & you're looking at even more aggressive competition (def less track use, but elite performance cars):
    • Audi R8 V10
    • Lambo Gallardo
    • Ferrari 458
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump


    "The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    1,944
    Rep Points
    1,759.0
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You break $100k & you're running against some performance titans that have very dedicated enthusiasts:
    • Audi R8 (V8 model)
    • Corvette ZO6/ZR1
    • Dodge Viper
    • Ford GT500
    • Nissan GTR
    • Porsche Turbo


    Essentially everything on that list except the Audi prob sees similar track use as the M3. BUT then you add in some lightly pre-owned cars & you're looking at even more aggressive competition (def less track use, but elite performance cars):
    • Audi R8 V10
    • Lambo Gallardo
    • Ferrari 458
    I hope one day I can earn a 100k car. Maybe even a fancy BMW Click here to enlarge lol




  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    105,943
    Rep Points
    26,021.1
    Mentioned
    1711 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    261



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If its over 100k it will start to have to compete with exotics and not just performance cars.
    $100k isn't exotic range. And the target here is Black Series.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,136
    Rep Points
    1,769.1
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope one day I can earn a 100k car. Maybe even a fancy BMW Click here to enlarge lol
    Well $100k car brand new or a $100k car? BUT I'm on the same page though, thinking the next big "automobile investment" will be a proven platform that's capable of 1k WHP.

    I'd say $250k+ and you're getting into super car/exotics money, but the C63 Black Series is a $100k
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump


    "The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    18
    Rep Points
    33.6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Thank god!!! Long overdue! Too many classics (Csl, etc)have gone to be only enjoyed in europe and other parts of the world. This is so needed for BMW! Especially with all these great Black Series not to mention RS versions too. BMW used to be the standard for drivers cars Among Mercedes and Audi... Now its much Different. All the others have made great strides where BMW has just skated by. I am Not used to this.I remember when I bought my Brand New 01 E46 M3.. That car killed its competitors then, Same for the E39 M5... My how the times have changed. HOPEFULLY THIS NEWS IS TRUE! ALSO build a R8/ SLS killer BMW. I hate how they do not have a car to compete with those cars and its still being debated by the current President of M who I think sucks a$$ for not approving it!! If It does we will not see it for a minimum of 2 years..

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    105,943
    Rep Points
    26,021.1
    Mentioned
    1711 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    261



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mpowerct Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Too many classics (Csl, etc)
    I will never forgive them for the E46 M3 CSL. Too little, too late.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,888
    Rep Points
    1,406.4
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Just put in the 4.4L S65 into a Z4M and they can keep the overpriced low volume special models.


  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    105,943
    Rep Points
    26,021.1
    Mentioned
    1711 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    261



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just put in the 4.4L S65 into a Z4M and they can keep the overpriced low volume special models.
    Exactly. Maybe they will do a special Z4 with the 4.4? That is what they should do...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •