Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DEFIVfab N54 diff lockdown feedback.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I don't know why anyone would use a torch on the rear bush, the original is encased in foam and requires hardly any force to remove. I removed the subframe and diff bushes with a press and that rear bush came out much easier than all the rest.
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rick@defiv Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My theory after much thought/trepidation is that when the oem bushing was pushed out,the halves of the subframe ballooned out (everyone knows they lean to the flimsy side of things),and needed to be compressed/squeezed back into shape. It's absolutely key that the two pieces of the rear bushing interlock properly, they are solely responsible for locating the diff properly, the front two ears aren't strong enough to do this alone and can flex. If bolt grip isnt right, well that's bad.
    Just to make a public service announcement in regards to avoiding any other situations of this nature, if ANY questions arise during install of the kit, please have the installer email me @ defivfab@gmail.com before proceeding to do anything different than what's defined in the install guide. I check my email frequently and will respond asap. thanks.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idnan Click here to enlarge
    I don't know why anyone would use a torch on the rear bush, the original is encased in foam and requires hardly any force to remove. I removed the subframe and diff bushes with a press and that rear bush came out much easier than all the rest.

@rick@defiv

Any other tips I should tell my installer? (Install is scheduled for Monday) I was planning on giving him your instructions, but just overly worried.

1) Make sure the bushing holes in the subframe aren't ballooned out and if they are compress/squeeze them back into shape;
    2) Make sure the two pieces of the rear bushing interlock properly;
    3) Don't use a torch to get the bushings out;
    4) Stick to the insructions; and
    5) Email defivfab@gmail.com if ANY questions arise.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Any way to get those bushings out while the subframe is still attached to the car? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

How much does this cost, and it takes care of wheel hop without any other mods? Interesting..... How is it with NVH? Sorry about the stupid acronym, but it works. Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ryan Mills Click here to enlarge
    How much does this cost, and it takes care of wheel hop without any other mods? Interesting..... How is it with NVH? Sorry about the stupid acronym, but it works. Thanks!

My suspension is all stock, with no adverse affects. No NVH whatsoever. First thing you'll notice is how loose the front end is in stock form.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    @rick@defiv

Any other tips I should tell my installer? (Install is scheduled for Monday) I was planning on giving him your instructions, but just overly worried.

1) Make sure the bushing holes in the subframe aren't ballooned out and if they are compress/squeeze them back into shape;
    2) Make sure the two pieces of the rear bushing interlock properly;
    3) Don't use a torch to get the bushings out;
    4) Stick to the insructions; and
    5) Email defivfab@gmail.com if ANY questions arise.
    That sounds pretty clear, the instructions are very clear...although the "no torch clause" is soon to be added. I'll PM you my cell for added insurance in case questions arise.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    Any way to get those bushings out while the subframe is still attached to the car? Click here to enlarge
    Yes. A generic bushing removal tool properly sized to the perspective bushings at hand. I made my own out of steel tubing,spare aluminum caps and a section of all thread(1/2-20 fine thread)...any well equipped shop will have a kit or the means to put someting together. I've dealt with much worse...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ryan Mills Click here to enlarge
    $699+shipping, It's a complete kit.There's a couple threads with pics from pre-release on chock full of info.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes. A generic bushing removal tool properly sized to the perspective bushings at hand. I made my own out of steel tubing,spare aluminum caps and a section of all thread(1/2-20 fine thread)...any well equipped shop will have a kit or the means to put someting together. I've dealt with much worse...
    So this can be installed without dropping the subframe? ...interesting.
    2007 BMW 335i 6MT / Alpine Weiss

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Subframe can stay up but the diff has to come down...
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idnan Click here to enlarge
    I agree, but some tghink that is the normal....no shop I go to will do this!
    JB4 G5 ISO+BMS flash,Walbro 455 LPFP, Devils Own meth kit W/DO10 & DO7 nozzle's & 4-AN SS lines, BMS OCC, RB turbos W/3.5 N20 sensor, RB valve, BMS DCI, BMS angel eyes, 3" AR kittyless Dps, Strett stage 2 oil-cooler, ER FMIC, ER CP W/Synapse BOV, M3 control arms, meyle HD tie-rods, Wavetrac LSD, BC BR coil-overs, Power-Flex subframe bushings, Cusco Strut Brace, Concept 1 CS-5.0 rims,

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G.I.Joe Click here to enlarge
    He did mention something about one of the parts needing modification (due to the original bolt being too short), so maybe he actually did mess something up.
    Can you verify the "short" bolt. Is it the bolt that goes on the OEM differential cover? My shop is having a similar "problem". They did put the nipple side facing north of the car then the other piece goes on top and has a perfect cutout for the nut. But the actual bolt they had is short, it only covers two threads. OEM bolt is an M14x110 for E92 and M4x112 for E90. They sourced an M14x130 which would alleviate the issue.

I know Rick is researching this "issue" at the moment and since you have an E92, were in the same boat.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blisstik Click here to enlarge
    Can you verify the "short" bolt. Is it the bolt that goes on the OEM differential cover? My shop is having a similar "problem". They did put the nipple side facing north of the car then the other piece goes on top and has a perfect cutout for the nut. But the actual bolt they had is short, it only covers two threads. OEM bolt is an M14x110 for E92 and M4x112 for E90. They sourced an M14x130 which would alleviate the issue.

I know Rick is researching this "issue" at the moment and since you have an E92, were in the same boat.
    I have an E92 and although Rick did my install, there were no issues.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Blaizon Click here to enlarge
    I have an E92 and although Rick did my install, there were no issues.
    There's something odd going on with bolt lengths...maybe...researching atm, still nothing clear. the only instance of a hardware problem was on the E93/small diff prototype that was finished tonight,that was short 2mm from threading totally flush to the end of the nut,yet E93 differences were to be expected.Every other E90/92 in house installs fit perfectly...strange. If it pops up as an issue again, I'll just send bolts where needed and include them in future kits.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

BMW p/n 07119914854 M14x1.5x130mm is the alternate if necessary. If you end up requiring this bolt I can either send you one or reimburse you for it. Ordering some tomorrow, will be included in future kits "just in case" there's any issues. PM me for further info if needed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I think the problem with mine was the bolt going through the big bushing, that also had a cutout for the bolt, but I have given Rick the email address of my mechanic, just so he can clarify what and where the problem was exactly.
    E92 335i 2008 Space Grey 6MT | RB turbos | Quaife LSD | M3 Suspension kit | Íhlins Road & Track Coilover | DEFIVfab N54 diff lockdown kit | COBB PTF E50 map | Walbro E85 455 LPH LPFP | NGK 5992 plugs | Wagner FMIC | Wagner 3" DP | Milltek exhaust | STETT CP | Forge DV | AFE Stage 2 DCI | SPEC Stage 3+ clutch | SPEC SSM Flywheel | BMS CDV | 60-130 mph 7.55 s | 100-200 kmh 6.57 s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

I have a short bolt too. My mechanic is going to try to source one tomorrow morning. 05/2007 E92 here.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

That's a relief. I have an 05/2007 E92 as well. Not sure if its the actual batch of bushing that's slightly thicker. I wish I measured them and took a photo prior to installing so Rick can verify its the right length when sandwiched.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    I have a short bolt too. My mechanic is going to try to source one tomorrow morning. 05/2007 E92 here.
    I will probably need one, I am not installing my kit for a few weeks. Rick I will PM with my address if you can mail me one?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mine is a 11/2007

I just dealered it for the VANOS issue and I will have the software updated as well. Should be able to pick it up friday afternoon and hope to be able to test it again after that.
    E92 335i 2008 Space Grey 6MT | RB turbos | Quaife LSD | M3 Suspension kit | Íhlins Road & Track Coilover | DEFIVfab N54 diff lockdown kit | COBB PTF E50 map | Walbro E85 455 LPH LPFP | NGK 5992 plugs | Wagner FMIC | Wagner 3" DP | Milltek exhaust | STETT CP | Forge DV | AFE Stage 2 DCI | SPEC Stage 3+ clutch | SPEC SSM Flywheel | BMS CDV | 60-130 mph 7.55 s | 100-200 kmh 6.57 s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

That's a relief. I have an 05/2007 E92 as well. Not sure if its the actual batch of bushing that's slightly thicker. I wish I measured them and took a photo prior to installing so Rick can verify its the right length when sandwiched.
    What's a relief? I had the short bolt. Meaning the bolt would have been attached by only 2 threads if I used the one I had.

Hopefully it's not based on model year, but I'd stick my head under there and see if you can see the bolt...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

There's something odd going on with bolt lengths...maybe...researching atm, still nothing clear. the only instance of a hardware problem was on the E93/small diff prototype that was finished tonight,that was short 2mm from threading totally flush to the end of the nut,yet E93 differences were to be expected.Every other E90/92 in house installs fit perfectly...strange. If it pops up as an issue again, I'll just send bolts where needed and include them in future kits.
    Sounds good, Let me know once you get them In an I will place an order.

Is there anything else we should do at the same time to maybe save a few pennys of labor? Subframe bushings?

Thanks
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Black Sheep Click here to enlarge
    Sounds good, Let me know once you get them In an I will place an order.

Is there anything else we should do at the same time to maybe save a few pennys of labor? Subframe bushings?

Thanks
    It would definitely be a savings if you did the subframe bushes at the same time although its not necessary in regards to the hop problem, just a matter of preference really.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge cool thank you, any news on the driveshaft loop?
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Black Sheep Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge cool thank you, any news on the driveshaft loop?
    yeah, I have an M3 one..may be the same as N54, I have a E92 clutch job next week, I'll verify fitment. In process of duplicating them currently.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast