Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping my 335, stock exhaust question

bobS is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

I have Morr vs8.2 wheels on stock suspension with eibach race springs. I want coil overs though....

Yea keeping the 335 is the smart thing to do....I'll have quick, clean car, paid off and can invest money on something other than cars:-)
    Click here to enlarge
    Evolve Supercharged ///M3

2. #ADS

bobS is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bob -- I'm still running the stock DP-back exhaust & you saw my numbers for both the 93 octane & E85-blended ProTunes. I'm also interested in getting a Race Gas ProTune by Jake once he gets in the area, maybe get it done on Undercover's dyno. I know over on E90Post (and I'm sure also here on BB), there are lots of N54 & N55 COBB users who'd like local ProTunes done by the PTF team
    For some reason I thought you modified your OEM exhaust.... Let's get a BB protune group buy with Jake!
    Click here to enlarge

benzy89 is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

Nope -- Just the Akra DPs & stock E90 exhaust (so I'm not even getting the minor power bump that the OEM Coupe Exhaust gets with factory X-Pipe).

I'm hoping that we can work something out with Jake before Atco reopens & that COBB releases another N55 tune update so more people justify ProTunes
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    420 WHP on 93 Octane | 460 WHP on E85
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    On stock turbo's mike@PRS (my pro-tuner) said he couldn't get any more than the E50 map

I even brought 15 gal of Vp109 to do our dyno tune. Never used it.
    He also couldn't get my car to dyno over 305 hp on aggressive stage 2+ and didn't realize that my IAT's were up around 180 degrees and blamed it on the turbos. Jake at PTF has pro tuned my car and said it is running very well. I went to the track after a failed pro tune attempt at PRD and trapped 115 on the OTS race map.
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Tuned Cobb Stage 2+ | H&R / Koni Sport | BBS CH-R

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Is he guessing or are there any dynos supporting this? On safe, quality tuning, running 100% E85 is comparable to running C16 Race Gas, but the N54 still doesn't have a proven, established fueling system to support straight E85. From a safe, tuning perspective, I think that running Race Gas (MS109 or higher octane) offers more gains that won't fluctuate (MS109 will always be 109 octane, E85 can vary anywhere between 70-85% ethanol).
    He was tuning it on a dyno. So we could see the differences.
    Tired of being cold? I sell pieces of paradise! Click here to enlargePM me for more info!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

He was tuning it on a dyno. So we could see the differences.
    But you just said that you never used the VP109 Click here to enlarge I've never dealt with PRD personally, but it doesn't sound like they've got the best reputation. I'm sure some other notable N54 tuners (@dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks , @jhershorin , @Terry@BMS , @evolve , @undercover, @undercoverangie) to comment on whether there's more safe HP in E40-E50 blends or running straight 109+

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

rader1 is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Those are bad ass, has anyone tested these?
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eric335 Click here to enlarge
    Thats badass! Make it fit.
    I plan on giving it a shot in the next couple of months. I'll be tooning around with the Vargas stage 2 turbos and once that's well sorted i'll either do the cutouts or clutch and flywheel.

I am a 100% firm believer in 1 mod at a time(especially when testing a new product or setup.) Otherwise results are... tainted.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Is he guessing or are there any dynos supporting this? On safe, quality tuning, running 100% E85 is comparable to running C16 Race Gas, but the N54 still doesn't have a proven, established fueling system to support straight E85. From a safe, tuning perspective, I think that running Race Gas (MS109 or higher octane) offers more gains that won't fluctuate (MS109 will always be 109 octane, E85 can vary anywhere between 70-85% ethanol).
    E85 will always be e85

Flex fuel from a bowser is what varies

E85 is what you buy in drums just like race fuel

Besides, the e70-e85, unless you want that last 10hp, tuning for e70 will get you close enough lol

ed: i love the idea of that cutout, i'd much rather an rpm-controlled one, as well as switched.. Considering these cars start coming on boost so soon, if you could set a range it starts opening at, and when it's fully open, even hard low-boost acceleration would still be bearable

unless you could set it to open at near-full-boost (say what you'd be making at redline) rather than as soon as a couple of psi..

Start cracking nearer 3000rpm, fully open around 5000 or something..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge

E85 will always be e85
    really?, heard many stories of content changing
    -might be what im talking about above, dont know what a bowser is..

or at pumps that dispense it
    Besides, the e70-e85, unless you want that last 10hp, tuning for e70 will get you close enough lol

whats "close enough" ? close enough to octane limits/hp limits, winning? where do you get e70 that you dont get E85. how do you know your getting e70 and not e60? same rules apply

ed: i love the idea of that cutout, i'd much rather an rpm-controlled one, as well as switched.. Considering these cars start coming on boost so soon, if you could set a range it starts opening at, and when it's fully open, even hard low-boost acceleration would still be bearable

unless you could set it to open at near-full-boost (say what you'd be making at redline) rather than as soon as a couple of psi..

bold

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

E85 will always be e85

Umm......VERY debatable Click here to enlarge
    1st, E85 isn't always E85. Like this picture, E85 is what the product is sold as, but legally it can vary anywhere between 70% to 85% ethanol content (like I mentioned), and a legal disclaimer is specifically placed on every E85 pump to make sure this is known to the customer
    Click here to enlarge

2nd, I'd say about 98% of people using E85 are buying it out of a gas pump (where there is concern for deviation in the ethanol content). E85 is sold in drums & is guaranteed E85, but it's also sold a premium price (meanwhile, pump E85 is less expensive than regular gas usually).

3rd, While a 10% difference in ethanol content might not sound significant, a tune built for E85 will only cause problems (detonation, timing pulls, STFT/LTFT being off, AFRs, etc etc) when you run it on E75.

IMO, ProEFI has the best setup -- Flex Fuel Sensor & construct two tune (one 93 octane & the other for E85/E100). That way, the ECU can automatically (no laptop, no knob/boost control adjustments) adjust the tune depending on your ethanol content without skipping a beat (can run E25, E55, E92, etc).

bobS is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

But ProEfi doesn't have that for the n54 now right?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    But ProEfi doesn't have that for the n54 now right?
    Sadly no..... When I went & got dynod at Undercover, Garth was still waiting for his 135 to get returned. IIRC, they were working out the software/coding for the cam timing. AS long as it's ready to go by spring I can't complain, gives you some time to save up some money for the ProEFI EMS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Umm......VERY debatable Click here to enlarge
    1st, E85 isn't always E85. Like this picture, E85 is what the product is sold as, but legally it can vary anywhere between 70% to 85% ethanol content (like I mentioned), and a legal disclaimer is specifically placed on every E85 pump to make sure this is known to the customer
    Click here to enlarge

2nd, I'd say about 98% of people using E85 are buying it out of a gas pump (where there is concern for deviation in the ethanol content). E85 is sold in drums & is guaranteed E85, but it's also sold a premium price (meanwhile, pump E85 is less expensive than regular gas usually).

3rd, While a 10% difference in ethanol content might not sound significant, a tune built for E85 will only cause problems (detonation, timing pulls, STFT/LTFT being off, AFRs, etc etc) when you run it on E75.

IMO, ProEFI has the best setup -- Flex Fuel Sensor & construct two tune (one 93 octane & the other for E85/E100). That way, the ECU can automatically (no laptop, no knob/boost control adjustments) adjust the tune depending on your ethanol content without skipping a beat (can run E25, E55, E92, etc).
    I think our DME does a good enough job of compensating 5-10% ethanol content, remember 93 has up to 7% ethanol?

Even on a protuned map.
    Tired of being cold? I sell pieces of paradise! Click here to enlargePM me for more info!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

I think our DME does a good enough job of compensating 5-10% ethanol content, remember 93 has up to 7% ethanol?
    You're sounding like Shiv -- I'll pass on depending on the DME (as brilliant as it is) to bail my ass out if there's not enough E85 for the tune to run happily. Especially since we're running on E85 on a platform that really isn't ready to support it (neither the proper fueling & tuning upgrades are readily available at this time). There's a significant difference between running pump gas (which has a max of 10% ethanol) and 93/E85 blends that have anywhere between 40-50% ethanol.

For a tuner to build an aggressive tune & rely on the DME to be a safety net is not only irresponsible but dangerous to the motor. The N54 & OEM DME are an incredible combination, but by no means are they bulletproof & can easily be undone with poor, irresponsible tuning.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

You're sounding like Shiv -- I'll pass on depending on the DME (as brilliant as it is) to bail my ass out if there's not enough E85 for the tune to run happily. Especially since we're running on E85 on a platform that really isn't ready to support it (neither the proper fueling & tuning upgrades are readily available at this time). There's a significant difference between running pump gas (which has a max of 10% ethanol) and 93/E85 blends that have anywhere between 40-50% ethanol.

For a tuner to build an aggressive tune & rely on the DME to be a safety net is not only irresponsible but dangerous to the motor. The N54 & OEM DME are an incredible combination, but by no means are they bulletproof & can easily be undone with poor, irresponsible tuning.
    Im just going off what our dyno and logs told us when I had my car tuned on a dyno.

And the lack of deviance of recent logs.

rader1 is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

A vacuum regulator(cheap boost controller) can be installed to adjust when the cutouts open.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    A vacuum regulator(cheap boost controller) can be installed to adjust when the cutouts open.
    at least they are cheap

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1210198...Types&var=sbar

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I think I'm also just going to hang on to my 335. I got pissed at being harassed by the police and parted it all out, intending to buy some POS, but I can't find anything remotely close in price/performance. So, I'm looking to get some more down pipes and meth, oh well. I've always run the factory exhaust except for the downpipes, and I fee that it's still nice and quiet while giving a decent bump in performance with the downpipes.

bobS is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Honestly there isn't much out there that competes with the 335 in looks, performance, and price. If I were to get a m I wouldn't supercharge it, so at this point I'll wait for the new m or m2, rs3 etc.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Honestly there isn't much out there that competes with the 335 in looks, performance, and price.
    +1, even if you go with something "comparable" (Audi S4/S5, Infiniti G37/Nissan 370Z), they're significantly more expensive to make aftermarket HP mods (adding a supercharger/turbo kit) and will not give the same driving feel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    bold
    1- yes see 22- , sorry bowser is the tanks at the station, what we call a pump here i guess, which yes will vary from e70-853- no, buy it in a drum it WILL BE 85%.. Pump varies, due to many conditions4- if you are using it as a race fuel, buy it in a drum, it will be consistent.. If you are using it in a quick street/track weekend car, e70 minimum from the pump will get you there..you can't get e60 because that would not be legal.
    Umm......VERY debatable 1st, E85 isn't always E85. Like this picture, E85 is what the product is sold as, but legally it can vary anywhere between 70% to 85% ethanol content (like I mentioned), and a legal disclaimer is specifically placed on every E85 pump to make sure this is known to the customer2nd, I'd say about 98% of people using E85 are buying it out of a gas pump (where there is concern for deviation in the ethanol content). E85 is sold in drums & is guaranteed E85, but it's also sold a premium price (meanwhile, pump E85 is less expensive than regular gas usually).3rd, While a 10% difference in ethanol content might not sound significant, a tune built for E85 will only cause problems (detonation, timing pulls, STFT/LTFT being off, AFRs, etc etc) when you run it on E75.IMO, ProEFI has the best setup -- Flex Fuel Sensor & construct two tune (one 93 octane & the other for E85/E100). That way, the ECU can automatically (no laptop, no knob/boost control adjustments) adjust the tune depending on your ethanol content without skipping a beat (can run E25, E55, E92, etc).
    1- yup, e85 at the petrol station can vary lots that's for sure2- those people are not buying it to win races, if you're competing, you spring for a drum.. However, e70 is fine for most people who use it (and anyone who consciously chooses to i hope)3- yes, that's why if you tune for flex, you should not aim for 10/10ths on e85 with it.., is dangerous lol.. Flex fuel is not race fuel, if you don't run a flex sensor, you can't guarantee your tune is correct or safeI know for the evo boys, the difference between e70 and 85 doesn't really effect their tunes a huge deal. At least their street onesi agree, flex fuel sensors are great.. A tune for premium, a tune for proper race grade e85, then it's totally (within reason), safe... This excites me as i live not far from a fair few flex pump stations! We only have e85(70) here though, apart from the e10 crap fuels lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    Thought there'd be something like that

would be interesting to see if it could be done well

i'm sure others have done it, will have to google later haha

and sorry for the lack of formatting in above post, posting sometimes does that for some reason (especially on phone).. @Sticky ???

internet is ba here so i couldn't edit it in the 10min window lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

1- yes see 22- , sorry bowser is the tanks at the station, what we call a pump here i guess, which yes will vary from e70-853- no, buy it in a drum it WILL BE 85%.. Pump varies, due to many conditions4- if you are using it as a race fuel, buy it in a drum, it will be consistent.. If you are using it in a quick street/track weekend car, e70 minimum from the pump will get you there..you can't get e60 because that would not be legal.1- yup, e85 at the petrol station can vary lots that's for sure2- those people are not buying it to win races, if you're competing, you spring for a drum.. However, e70 is fine for most people who use it (and anyone who consciously chooses to i hope)3- yes, that's why if you tune for flex, you should not aim for 10/10ths on e85 with it.., is dangerous lol.. Flex fuel is not race fuel, if you don't run a flex sensor, you can't guarantee your tune is correct or safeI know for the evo boys, the difference between e70 and 85 doesn't really effect their tunes a huge deal. At least their street onesi agree, flex fuel sensors are great.. A tune for premium, a tune for proper race grade e85, then it's totally (within reason), safe... This excites me as i live not far from a fair few flex pump stations! We only have e85(70) here though, apart from the e10 crap fuels lol
    so, pay for a protuned map to maximize your performance, is now only a "race day" map even though said fuel is available at pumps? so really, you dont want nor need an E85 tune, you need a ms109 or c16 tune, because, its only for racing? so now your e85 street map is to much, you go to a e70 tune, but e85 is not availabale at every station, or many stations rather, so you also need your 93/e10 map handy.. your not maximizing anything then.. im not following your logic..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    so, pay for a protuned map to maximize your performance, is now only a "race day" map even though said fuel is available at pumps? so really, you dont want nor need an E85 tune, you need a ms109 or c16 tune, because, its only for racing? your not maximizing anything then.. im not following your logic..
    I only run my E85 map on days that im racing?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

i dunno, im not following the logic here. are you tuned for E85 or E70? would you be faster if it was guaranteed E85, would you be faster on E70 tuned for E70 or E70 but tuned for E85? what do you do when E85 isnt available? have a drum with you or have to switch maps? what about if your local station is guarnateed E85, but you get a few miles away from there and now your E85 tune is only actually E70 or less, do you know it, does your car know it, what happens then?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast