Close

Thread: Coolant/water pump on its way out?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Coolant/water pump on its way out?

Hey guys sorry for the new thread just needed some help...

Last night came home and parked my car in the garage like usual...After getting out and locking the car the water pump kept making a sound every 5-10 seconds like it was trying to turn on but wouldnt stay on..

It was weird bc normally it will run the water pump for a few minutes with a silent hum...it has me worried bc it sounded like the water pump was dying/having trouble last night..

On a positive note...drove the car for 70 miles today...30 miles in bad traffic which I figure would heat things up bad...so it seems everything is normal....anyone notice these signs or symptoms before their water pump took a $#@!..?

Car has 91xxx miles....No major issues...Thanks in advance and sorry for new thread
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Normal operation. If you dig up threads back to 2007 the car will run the waterpump after you have turned the car off to cycle coolant through the turbos and motor to transfer more heat out of them...keeps from coking the bearings.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rooringhusky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Car has 91xxx miles....No major issues...Thanks in advance and sorry for new thread
    Dude, 90Kmiles? You definitely should change it. Change the thermostat too while you're at it. When it goes, it, suddenly, and without symptoms. The car becomes pretty much undriveable. It's up to you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    Dude, 90Kmiles? You definitely should change it. Change the thermostat too while you're at it. When it goes, it, suddenly, and without symptoms. The car becomes pretty much undriveable. It's up to you.
    +100

If you've never changed it so far do it now or get that tow truck number handy. Water pumps on this car are 60k maintenance unfortunately
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

My pump was replaced a few days ago with 81,000 km

for a month or so I used to make a buzz until he died

750 euros in all BMW repair
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    Normal operation. If you dig up threads back to 2007 the car will run the waterpump after you have turned the car off to cycle coolant through the turbos and motor to transfer more heat out of them...keeps from coking the bearings.
    The operation described in the OP was definitely different from normal operation....it kept turning on and off instead of staying on for a few minutes to run coolant through...

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    Ok I will be keeping my eye on the pump sounds after the car is off...if anything jumps out again as strange or weird I will end up buying the new pump and swap it out ASAP...Appreciate the good advice Turkeybaster! Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    +100

If you've never changed it so far do it now or get that tow truck number handy. Water pumps on this car are 60k maintenance unfortunately
    Havent changed it so far but bought the car at 60k....so not sure if previous owner or dealer swapped it prior...I have tow truck access handy at all times (due to no spare tire and no run flats) so I guess I will wait til it goes out on me then tow it back home and swap it out....

If anything in the coming weeks strikes me as odd or weird about the water pump/car temps/noises then I will just swap it out ASAP for good safety measure..Thanks dzenno for the input and advice! Click here to enlarge
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by carcars Click here to enlarge
    My pump was replaced a few days ago with 81,000 km

for a month or so I used to make a buzz until he died

750 euros in all BMW repair
    Great info..seems like im up next! The buzzing your talking about sounds similar to what im experiencing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rooringhusky Click here to enlarge
    The operation described in the OP was definitely different from normal operation....it kept turning on and off instead of staying on for a few minutes to run coolant through...

Ok I will be keeping my eye on the pump sounds after the car is off...if anything jumps out again as strange or weird I will end up buying the new pump and swap it out ASAP...Appreciate the good advice Turkeybaster! Click here to enlarge

Havent changed it so far but bought the car at 60k....so not sure if previous owner or dealer swapped it prior...I have tow truck access handy at all times (due to no spare tire and no run flats) so I guess I will wait til it goes out on me then tow it back home and swap it out....

If anything in the coming weeks strikes me as odd or weird about the water pump/car temps/noises then I will just swap it out ASAP for good safety measure..Thanks dzenno for the input and advice! Click here to enlarge
    My car did that. And if you do the self bleeding process when you install a new pump it does the same thing.

I worked for BMW for a considerable amount of time, and K still do it on the side...and Ive seen just about all of it Click here to enlarge