Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 47 of 47

Thread: Stock motor Porsche 996tt goes 10.36 first day out

              
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    120
    Rep Points
    361.9
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Reputation: Yes | No
    My next car will def be a metzger equipped P-car.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    675
    Rep Points
    551.5
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I have been eyeing the 996TT's up for a few years now. Very impressive cars for sure. The 996's are very good however, the ones you see for <$40k are usually the 01's. Stay vigilant on the maintenance as the 01-02's had a 2nd gear pop out issue which ended in a recall. Some, not really many at all, but some do suffer from catastrophic engine failure. A lot are in part to do with maintenance and upkeep of the car and some are just a rare case. Very strong engines indeed though. I prefer a 997.1 TT and am holding out until they get cheaper; so maybe in the next 5 years I will make the purchase. The interior update on the 997 is what makes me want to hop on it. Other than that you really cannot go wrong with the 996TT. Very excellent car with a lot of information out there as well as aftermarket support and the prices are definitely on the decline. Check out 6speedonline.com in the classifieds, there is always a stock or modified 996 for sale.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Posts
    62
    Rep Points
    251.3
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StinkyM Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have been eyeing the 996TT's up for a few years now. Very impressive cars for sure. The 996's are very good however, the ones you see for <$40k are usually the 01's. Stay vigilant on the maintenance as the 01-02's had a 2nd gear pop out issue which ended in a recall. Some, not really many at all, but some do suffer from catastrophic engine failure. A lot are in part to do with maintenance and upkeep of the car and some are just a rare case. Very strong engines indeed though. I prefer a 997.1 TT and am holding out until they get cheaper; so maybe in the next 5 years I will make the purchase. The interior update on the 997 is what makes me want to hop on it. Other than that you really cannot go wrong with the 996TT. Very excellent car with a lot of information out there as well as aftermarket support and the prices are definitely on the decline. Check out 6speedonline.com in the classifieds, there is always a stock or modified 996 for sale.
    Mine is a '02. So far no 2nd gear pop out issues... knock on wood. Bought it with 29k miles on it. It now has over 40k and I DO NOT baby her. I really do believe 2nd gear pop out issues are exasperated by poor drivers chewing away at the synchros and such. I also think the issue may be blown out of proportion. Two of my friends have '01 and no issues with either of theirs and they are heavily modded.

    Why do you say they suffer from catastrophic engine failure? They do not have IMS issues and do not suffer from engine damage unless self inflicted by a bad tune or that lack of a "REAL" fuel system (which is usually the case). I over engineered my fuel system with a radiumauto sump, two bosch 044 pumps, and all new -8an lines feeding each rail separately because of this. I've owned a few high hp cars and the Porsche is by far my favorite. Great bang for the buck!
    '02 911tt HBK700 kit

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5,129
    Rep Points
    504.3
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StinkyM Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have been eyeing the 996TT's up for a few years now. Very impressive cars for sure. The 996's are very good however, the ones you see for <$40k are usually the 01's. Stay vigilant on the maintenance as the 01-02's had a 2nd gear pop out issue which ended in a recall. Some, not really many at all, but some do suffer from catastrophic engine failure. A lot are in part to do with maintenance and upkeep of the car and some are just a rare case. Very strong engines indeed though. I prefer a 997.1 TT and am holding out until they get cheaper; so maybe in the next 5 years I will make the purchase. The interior update on the 997 is what makes me want to hop on it. Other than that you really cannot go wrong with the 996TT. Very excellent car with a lot of information out there as well as aftermarket support and the prices are definitely on the decline. Check out 6speedonline.com in the classifieds, there is always a stock or modified 996 for sale.

    Correct.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jersey City
    Posts
    3,451
    Rep Points
    3,312.1
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I'm jumping into a e92 m3 instead.....I want to keep the car relatively stock (wheels and suspension) and drive the hell out of it. I also want the factory warranty. The 335 annoyed me with all the mods, I feel like id do the same with the pcar. In a couple years I may get one though!
    Click here to enlarge
    Evolve Supercharged ///M3

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    98,967
    Rep Points
    23,627.3
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    237


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Porscheboost member M3ntal runs a 10.3@136 1/4 mile with stock internal motor 996TT

    Congratulations to M3ntal on putting down a very impressive 1/4 mile run with his stock motor 996TT. You may remember this car dyno'd 717 wheel horsepower on the stock motor with E85 at 22 psi. For this run the car was running 22psi and E85 along with FP30R turbos with the tune coming from Roshan Patel. The end result is a very stout 10.3@136 1/4 mile run. The car also appears to be converted to rear wheel drive.

    Click here to enlarge

    Ditching the all wheel drive makes the car lighter but also allows for more horsepower to the rear wheels. Not to mention parts won't break as easily on the strip. Putting power down does not seem to be an issue as the 60 foot time was 1.671.

    Congrats again to @M3ntal, well done.


  7. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Posts
    62
    Rep Points
    251.3
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Yes. Converted to RWD with no LSD for verification.
    '02 911tt HBK700 kit

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    467
    Rep Points
    1,031.4
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    11


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Damn you M3ntal for making my car choices next time much more difficult. My old man has a 997.1 with just a tune and it is very much a beast (not like yours obviously). As much as I like the 997s, I actually like the 996 bodystyle moreso. I've seen some clean ones run around $40k and it is very tempting, but the thought on working on them seems daunting. I do agree though that having a really fast Porsche is very very appealing. Click here to enlarge

    Metzger FTW!

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,187
    Rep Points
    2,603.5
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I used to do a lot of work to 996s, primarily the GT3s for road racing. Loved every minute of it and I would want to jump into a 996 TT for me and a C4S for the soon-to-be Mrs. Click here to enlarge

    As you have shown you can make considerable hp without cracking the motor open.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Posts
    62
    Rep Points
    251.3
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Reputation: Yes | No

    They also are dead reliable. Ive had zero issues during my 16 month ownership. Its really a car you can drive everyday. You can tell they took the setup from the gt1 race car. The drivetrain is very well built and can support the additional power.

    I was out at NJ Motorsports park on a 102 degree day this past summer and finished every session on a stock cooling system while a lot of the cars were pulling in from overheating issues after 10 mins.
    '02 911tt HBK700 kit

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,187
    Rep Points
    2,603.5
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3ntal Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They also are dead reliable. Ive had zero issues during my 16 month ownership. Its really a car you can drive everyday. You can tell they took the setup from the gt1 race car. The drivetrain is very well built and can support the additional power.

    I was out at NJ Motorsports park on a 102 degree day this past summer and finished every session on a stock cooling system while a lot of the cars were pulling in from overheating issues after 10 mins.
    Yeah the GT3s had no issues either! The only thing ive noticed is that on the higher mileage ones weve had to replace the radiators because they either leak or get so clogged up with dirt that its really hard to wash them out...fresh radiators on a car that gets tracked most of its life is always a welcome improvement.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    675
    Rep Points
    551.5
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3ntal Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mine is a '02. So far no 2nd gear pop out issues... knock on wood. Bought it with 29k miles on it. It now has over 40k and I DO NOT baby her. I really do believe 2nd gear pop out issues are exasperated by poor drivers chewing away at the synchros and such. I also think the issue may be blown out of proportion. Two of my friends have '01 and no issues with either of theirs and they are heavily modded.

    Why do you say they suffer from catastrophic engine failure? They do not have IMS issues and do not suffer from engine damage unless self inflicted by a bad tune or that lack of a "REAL" fuel system (which is usually the case). I over engineered my fuel system with a radiumauto sump, two bosch 044 pumps, and all new -8an lines feeding each rail separately because of this. I've owned a few high hp cars and the Porsche is by far my favorite. Great bang for the buck!
    There's been a few here and there throughout the years that pop up with blown engines. Some stock some not. Like I said though, it's a rare possibility, but possible. However, the 2nd gear issue was more than just a few forum cars as it ended in a recall.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Posts
    62
    Rep Points
    251.3
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Reputation: Yes | No

    I guess there's a "possibilty" of a blown engine on any car you buy but to say its specific to a metzger engine makes no sense. There really is no huge flaw in these motors. Coolant fittings need to be welded in place and that's a time consuming job but certainly doesn't lead to a blown engine.

    Also with the 2nd gear pop-out. Mostly due to driver abuse. The vast majority of times it is a few missed shifts that grind off the edge of the 2nd gear and result in no 'retention' force. As you probably know, the dbox detent helps but does not cure it nor does it prevent future failure.
    '02 911tt HBK700 kit

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,187
    Rep Points
    2,603.5
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Reputation: Yes | No
    You are making my choice for next car much easier Click here to enlarge

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,472
    Rep Points
    48.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are making my choice for next car much easier Click here to enlarge
    yup

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1
    Rep Points
    2.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Did your car have the X50 option? I understand it included a beefier transmission. Wondering if it's worth holding out for a 996 with X50, to handle any monster-creating aspirations.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    98,967
    Rep Points
    23,627.3
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    237


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HEFFsN63 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did your car have the X50 option? I understand it included a beefier transmission. Wondering if it's worth holding out for a 996 with X50, to handle any monster-creating aspirations.
    The X50 is nice if you can get it for cheap used. The intercoolers, turbos (K24's), etc., can make more power than the standard K16's. If ditching the stock turbos it doesn't really matter too much.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,187
    Rep Points
    2,603.5
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Well hopefully next year will be good for me. I went from top of my game to the bottom, gotta make my way back up Click here to enlarge

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Posts
    62
    Rep Points
    251.3
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah the GT3s had no issues either! The only thing ive noticed is that on the higher mileage ones weve had to replace the radiators because they either leak or get so clogged up with dirt that its really hard to wash them out...fresh radiators on a car that gets tracked most of its life is always a welcome improvement.
    The problem with the radiators is that they get clogged up with leaves. If you don't clean them out (take off the bumper, loosen the condensers, and blow the debris out) all the debris will retain moisture and rot the radiators. It takes only a few hours to take off the front bumper to do that. I plan on doing it annually.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HEFFsN63 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did your car have the X50 option? I understand it included a beefier transmission. Wondering if it's worth holding out for a 996 with X50, to handle any monster-creating aspirations.
    No, mine is standard. Its the same transmission. I believe the gt2 transmission has a factory oil cooler whereas the others didn't.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The X50 is nice if you can get it for cheap used. The intercoolers, turbos (K24's), etc., can make more power than the standard K16's. If ditching the stock turbos it doesn't really matter too much.
    Right on. The stock k16 turbos are only good for about 430 whp on 1.2 bar and fall off on power pretty badly. When I took those off the car really started going fast Click here to enlarge
    '02 911tt HBK700 kit

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    909
    Rep Points
    1,181.0
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3ntal Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes. Converted to RWD with no LSD for verification.
    Any links to where you got the turbo kit? Any build thread I missed?
    Click here to enlarge
    Current mods:
    Kline catless exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb 93 custom tune by Mitch
    Planned:
    1000cc injectors & E85 tune (+clutch)

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,062
    Rep Points
    1,780.6
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any links to where you got the turbo kit? Any build thread I missed?
    These are HBK (Home Built Killer) cars -- Everything they do (M3ntal, proidigymb & Tim941NYC) is 1 off & their builds are listed over on 6Speed. Been reading Tim941NYC's build thread (the red ~1,300 WHP 996) & his fabrication quality is immaculate.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump


    "The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    248
    Rep Points
    5.0
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    4 out of 6 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    pshhh what an outdated platform you have m3ntal. how can you even call it reliable when you broke an axle in 16 months of ownership AND had to do spark plugs.

    junk cant even keep front wheels on the ground.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •