Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: stock DMFW = misfires on high HP N54s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is your flywheel steel or aluminum?
    aluminum
    2015 STi / 335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Click here to enlarge

2. #ADS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    Holding your clutch in at a light is prolly the worst thing you can do for it...it puts pressure on the fingers and puts added stress to the throwout bearing, which will just wear it out sooner, and it would be a joyous occasion to have to go back into the bellhousing to replace a $60 part because you couldnt deal with some noise.
    Well I've been doing it for about 45-50k miles now with this flywheel and haven't noticed any issues at all... so i will continue and replace if necessary some day.
    2015 STi / 335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    I also don't want chatter. Have you done a compression test lately? What fuel/meth are you running?
    I've rebuilt my top end lately Click here to enlarge motor is and has always been solid...fuel is 94 pump gas readily available up here and meth is three 1.0mm nozzles controlled with the Aquamist HFS-4 and its integrated failsafe in a trunk mounted 2.2gal tank...most recently i've been running 90-100% meth
    PTF TWIN DISK CLUTCH - GROUP BUY

Porsche 997.1/997.2, BMW N54/N55 Performance and Custom COBB Tuning Experts
    Home of the World's Fastest BMW N54s, N55s
    www.protuninggroup.com
    www.protuningfreaks.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    Holding your clutch in at a light is prolly the worst thing you can do for it...it puts pressure on the fingers and puts added stress to the throwout bearing, which will just wear it out sooner, and it would be a joyous occasion to have to go back into the bellhousing to replace a $60 part because you couldnt deal with some noise.

I dont get what is so bad about the noise. Ive driven many a Porsche 911 and several GTRs that rattled at idle..I think its the most badass thing when it sounds like you got rocks banging around in the transmission...but then again I eat/sleep/breath road racing so whiney gearboxes/clutch rattles dont bother me. neither do squeaky brakes.
    ^ This.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)

Not to be a naysayer. But really 3 pulls and you are calling an intermittent misfire fixed? Lets wait until the clutch is broke in and you get more like 20-30 pulls on it before we break out the champagne.
    Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
    Tony@Vargasturbo.com
    www.Vargasturbo.com

Making the world happier one turbocharger at a time
    N54 OEM - Stage 2 Batch 2 available!
    N54 Stage2+ Available now!
    N55 Stage 1 - 2 upgrade available!
    Stage 3 production kits almost here!
    Shotgun HPFP upgrade pre-order now!
    N55 World Record: 477WHP / 509WTQ, 11.4 ET / 123MPH
    N54 Stock Frame (100% E85) World Record: 645WHP / 654WTQ
    N54 (ACN 91 octane only) World Record, Stock Motor: 573WHP / 537WTQ
    N54 (96-98 octane, no meth) World Record,
    Stock Motor: 673WHP / 564WTQ
    N54 (ERC 109 unleaded octane and meth) World Record, Stock Motor:
    725WHP / 609WTQ
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Not to be a naysayer. But really 3 pulls and you are calling an intermittent misfire fixed? Lets wait until the clutch is broke in and you get more like 20-30 pulls on it before we break out the champagne.
    Maybe it is a little premature, but the misfire was NEVER intermittent for me. It was ALWAYS guaranteed to occur in 3rd or 4th gear at 6500 rpm WOT. I recreated it about 50+ times, not once did it make it to redline before.

I did another pull last night and it went to redline. That's 4 times more than I ever got to do before. I'd be very surprised if the misfire returned. Guess we will know for sure in a few days.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
    Maybe it is a little premature, but the misfire was NEVER intermittent for me. It was ALWAYS guaranteed to occur in 3rd or 4th gear at 6500 rpm WOT. I recreated it about 50+ times, not once did it make it to redline before.

I did another pull last night and it went to redline. That's 4 times more than I ever got to do before. I'd be very surprised if the misfire returned. Guess we will know for sure in a few days.
    That's crazy that you've only been able to redline the car 4 times since you've installed the ST. If I had the ST and finally fixed it, I would be redlining every time a road opened up.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)

I guess its not much faster than stock turbos after all Click here to enlarge

j/k

www.protuninggroup.com
    www.protuningfreaks.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    aluminum
    I have never had an aluminum flywheel but have run 4 to 6MT's up to 502cu with either cast or steel billet flywheels. Most of the cast wheels were inside of scatter shields but I really do not remember any clutch chatter. I wonder if its an aluminum thing?
    Kevin
    2011 335is 7DCT/JB4 G5-ISO BMS Flash
    2013 135is 6MT - JB4 G5-ISO
    FF Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can we confirm that the Spec steel SMFW doesn't chatter? Or at least that it is minimal? I don't want to deal with chatter again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    That's crazy that you've only been able to redline the car 4 times since you've installed the ST. If I had the ST and finally fixed it, I would be redlining every time a road opened up.
    Well I'm still breaking in the clutch. Don't want to risk it. Almost there though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mj6234 Click here to enlarge
    Can we confirm that the Spec steel SMFW doesn't chatter? Or at least that it is minimal? I don't want to deal with chatter again.
    I don't think anyone has one installed yet as it was just released.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quick question. Its been a while & I was wondering if they allow high power, low ET, modified engine MT's to run without a scatter shield or ballistic blanket? I added mine because it was both required & I did not think the plastic floor was going to do much for my feet if the clutch blew.
    Kevin
    2011 335is 7DCT/JB4 G5-ISO BMS Flash
    2013 135is 6MT - JB4 G5-ISO
    FF Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mj6234 Click here to enlarge
    I read on the other forum that someone installed the Advan steel flywheel with the HPF clutch and it still chattered, less than an aluminum flywheel but there was still some chatter.
    FBO / HFS-4 / Cobb PTF tune

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    I've rebuilt my top end lately Click here to enlarge motor is and has always been solid...fuel is 94 pump gas readily available up here and meth is three 1.0mm nozzles controlled with the Aquamist HFS-4 and its integrated failsafe in a trunk mounted 2.2gal tank...most recently i've been running 90-100% meth
    That's good info, however beyond it feeling solid, I was wondering if you've measures leak-down or compression.

Turbo motors hide damage very well. I'm sure it's fine, but you don't know until you measure. I do compression tests with every spark if change since I'm already there.
    E92 - Enhanced by BMS, Cobb, Helix, Wavetrac, e85

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    That's good info, however beyond it feeling solid, I was wondering if you've measures leak-down or compression.

Turbo motors hide damage very well. I'm sure it's fine, but you don't know until you measure. I do compression tests with every spark if change since I'm already there.
    Yes, its been measured more than once as well as posted about here with independent as well as dealership results. Not much can hide when you test compression and leakdown before then crack the head open then put the head back on and then do it again right after Click here to enlarge i do my compression and leakdown tests every once in a while, usually when changing plugs

Not sure I got the comment on turbo motors hiding compression problems but I guess you meant when they're running under WOT. I partially disagree with that as most issues with compression or internal seal/valve issues will be felt right at idle.

www.protuninggroup.com
    www.protuningfreaks.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Aside from the obvious idle / low rpm anomalies dirty valves cause, has anyone been able to determine if crudded up intake valves cause high RPM misfires? I keep getting a high RPM cylinder 6 misfire and I have now changed the plug, coil, and fuel injector (and recoded w/ INPA). The issue happened a couple of times on stock turbos, but I figured it would be remedied as soon as I changed the plugs which were about 2 years old at the time. I have 79000 miles and no valve cleaning that I know of, but not sure how realistic this theory is. That will be the next step, but not getting my hopes up. My car is a 6AT, so not a DMFW issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)

I've cleaned my valves and rebuilt the head and had a new OEM DMFW hpf clutch put in and they still happened. Gunked up valves as far as I see it can only obstruct air flow into the combustion chamber (i.e. reduce pumping efficiency as in having a more restrictive head) but I don't see it causing misfires.

Man this blows that on a 6AT and your specific car with that new setup you're getting them too. Did this just start happening? Is it every pull? This sounds like what hotrod182 had with his 6AT...

www.protuninggroup.com
    www.protuningfreaks.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    I've cleaned my valves and rebuilt the head and had a new OEM DMFW hpf clutch put in and they still happened. Gunked up valves as far as I see it can only obstruct air flow into the combustion chamber (i.e. reduce pumping efficiency as in having a more restrictive head) but I don't see it causing misfires.

Man this blows that on a 6AT and your specific car with that new setup you're getting them too. Did this just start happening? Is it every pull? This sounds like what hotrod182 had with his 6AT...
    It happened a couple of times with stock turbos before I took the car apart, but just assumed it was old plugs or too much water in my meth mixture, but now with new plugs and not running any meth/water injection it is still happening. It doesn't happen every time, but definitely happens quite often. Except for once, it has always been on cylinder 6. Either way, the valves need to be done, but I guess a compression test is next...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge

Hey don't get me wrong. I really hope it did fix it. Because if this was indeed an issue it would have reared its head in our stage 3 as well. Good luck man. I hope its gone. Also any single mass flywheel aluminum or steel will have some chatter. If they say their Steel SM eliminates chatter they are lying to sell product. Just my .02 cents
    Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
    Tony@Vargasturbo.com
    www.Vargasturbo.com

Making the world happier one turbocharger at a time
    N54 OEM - Stage 2 Batch 2 available!
    N54 Stage2+ Available now!
    N55 Stage 1 - 2 upgrade available!
    Stage 3 production kits almost here!
    Shotgun HPFP upgrade pre-order now!
    N55 World Record: 477WHP / 509WTQ, 11.4 ET / 123MPH
    N54 Stock Frame (100% E85) World Record: 645WHP / 654WTQ
    N54 (ACN 91 octane only) World Record, Stock Motor: 573WHP / 537WTQ
    N54 (96-98 octane, no meth) World Record,
    Stock Motor: 673WHP / 564WTQ
    N54 (ERC 109 unleaded octane and meth) World Record, Stock Motor:
    725WHP / 609WTQ
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Hey don't get me wrong. I really hope it did fix it. Because if this was indeed an issue it would have reared its head in our stage 3 as well. Good luck man. I hope its gone. Also any single mass flywheel aluminum or steel will have some chatter. If they say their Steel SM eliminates chatter they are lying to sell product. Just my .02 cents
    I don't think that's true with EVERY manual transmission. I think it is true with ours up until some unreasonable weight. I will test the steel SMF and video it. Tbh, I would have looked into preloading the gears axially before trying steel, but that's just me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by redlineryder Click here to enlarge
    I read on the other forum that someone installed the Advan steel flywheel with the HPF clutch and it still chattered, less than an aluminum flywheel but there was still some chatter.
    Its the nature of manual trans to rattle and as cars got quieter the DMFW was born to lessen the noise. I recall my 5.0 stang days of the 80s and 90s and those T5s did rattle pretty nicely. The cars were so loud from the exhaust and lumpy cam idle I never really heard it much until I turned the engine off and could hear the rattle on shutdown.

UUC actually wrote a nice article on the various facets around SMFW, LWFW and OEM DMFW and in particular how an oil conconction helps eliminate/lessen the rattle issue in some cars. Worth reading:
    http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/gear_rattle.htm

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)

I didn't find the so called UUC cocktail for an oil mix in the tranny reducing effects of rattle noticeably on this car

www.protuninggroup.com
    www.protuningfreaks.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I didn't find the so called UUC cocktail for an oil mix in the tranny reducing effects of rattle noticeably on this car
    Last sentenceof the 8th paragraph from the linked UUC page.

"A change to a slightly heavier grade of transmission fluid (UUC recommends a specific mix of transmission fluids, 1 bottle Redline 75W-140NS and 1 bottle Redline D4 ATF) will eliminate it entirely in some cars, or at least reduce the remaining rattle a subjective 90%.
    "

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)

Yes that's what I ran with my clutch masters smfw and nothing noticeably changed let alone eliminated or 90% reduced

www.protuninggroup.com
    www.protuningfreaks.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast