Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Which lwfw?
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

quick(ish) update...for the second clutch install I went with the CM FX400...I know a lot of guys are having good experiences with the SPEC 2+ and in hindsight I prob should have gone with this from the start and possibly avoided this scenario, live and learn. Also, the shop worked with CM and got them to take the one back and send the 400 at no charge as well as no charge on second install. Honestly though, not sure if the shop ate the difference or what but it was no hassle at all, the shop didn't even want to look at it, took my word for it that it was slipping and put in the order for the new one. Anyway, with only 20 miles on the FX400, I can at least say it just feels "right", more solid and tight with less tolerance etc. pedal feel is maybe a little more than stock but honestly to me I prefer the feel now as it feels more "connected" and engaged from the top to the floor. Shifts are crisp and quick with no shuddering as before. Again, this is only after 20 miles but hoping this is a good sign going forward. I think I remember reading that Dzenno had this one at some point and was pretty good until it went at about 15k or so. Seems Dzenno may beat clutches like they owe him moneyClick here to enlarge not sure I'll be as hard but def a few drag strip trips in a few months, I'll update if'n anybody is still interested after break in and some abuse.
    Click here to enlarge

PTF Pro Tuned l BMS DCI l DP l ETS 5" Intercooler
    HAT L4SE Carbon l HAT L1V2 l Jehnert XE200 l Arc Audio Arc 12 l Arc Minis l Audison bit Ten

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I can only think they didn't degrease the disk and flywheel.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

actually, the shop mentioned that they laid each clutch down side by side and there was slight difference in the dimensions of the 300 vs the 400, the 300 being smaller/less tall...I didn't see the comparison and I'm def not a clutch expert so not sure what affect this difference would have but seems plausible...of course, that begs the question as to why would a manufacturer have diff dimensions for same application. if there is a diff, the 300 should not be considered an option for our cars.
    Click here to enlarge

HAT L4SE Carbon l HAT L1V2 l Jehnert XE200 l Arc Audio Arc 12 l Arc Minis l Audison bit Ten

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

and it continues...after giving the CM FX400 400 miles of easy break-in, I finally was able to put my foot in it...and I'm back to the same horrible slipping. Same scenario, holds really well in 1st and 2nd, 3rd gear lets go at about 4500 rpm, 4th lets go at 4000 and 5th holds nothing. For the third clutch going with the SPEC 2+ as it sounds like a lot of people are having success with this set up. I'm also replacing the flywheel, again, with the OEM dual mass from LUK. The shop hasn't had a good experience with SPEC on other platforms which is why CM was mentioned as a solution to begin with. As a matter of fact, while i was discussing the situation with the shop owner, one of his techs walked by, overheard our convo about SPEC and sarcastically laughed and said "another SPEC bites the dust" under the impression I was there to replace a SPEC. Anyway, going the way the BB leads me!
    This has been the most frustrating thing I've ever had to deal with on any car I've owned and sought more/better performance.The only positive thing is that the shop I'm using really wants to get it right and have been really good to work with in terms of warranty their work and the parts.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1833 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cadillacgrills Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and it continues...after giving the CM FX400 400 miles of easy break-in, I finally was able to put my foot in it...and I'm back to the same horrible slipping. Same scenario, holds really well in 1st and 2nd, 3rd gear lets go at about 4500 rpm, 4th lets go at 4000 and 5th holds nothing. For the third clutch going with the SPEC 2+ as it sounds like a lot of people are having success with this set up. I'm also replacing the flywheel, again, with the OEM dual mass from LUK. The shop hasn't had a good experience with SPEC on other platforms which is why CM was mentioned as a solution to begin with. As a matter of fact, while i was discussing the situation with the shop owner, one of his techs walked by, overheard our convo about SPEC and sarcastically laughed and said "another SPEC bites the dust" under the impression I was there to replace a SPEC. Anyway, going the way the BB leads me!
    This has been the most frustrating thing I've ever had to deal with on any car I've owned and sought more/better performance.The only positive thing is that the shop I'm using really wants to get it right and have been really good to work with in terms of warranty their work and the parts.
    Been in talks with Spec so hopefully they get here soon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

I dont know whats up latley with all this clutch slipping stuff. My friend had a CM setup with the aluminum flywheel a few years back and it slipped too. I wonder if that kevlar disc just isnt compatible like the regular carbon or sintered iron puck clutches?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I'm with you @Itsbrokeagain ...feel like its more prevelant on the forums now, possibly bc the 2007-2009 cars are hitting the 40k-50k on the stock and people are replacing?? the thing that's the most frustrating is that it feels like a crap shoot if one will work properly or not, at least from experience with mine. the shop really wanted to go with ACT this time but I pushed for the SPEC based on BB posts and @dzenno's comments and recommendation. a little bit of leap of faith for me basing the decision on forum chatter but again feels like a crap shoot so why not??!! honestly though, i've been impressed with amount of technical knowledge here on BB so feel pretty good about it. just trying not to let this ruin the way i feel about the car at this point.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)

My CM FX400 with their alum flywheel went after 2k miles

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I hope to have a review on the Spec 2+ soon, car is mostly taken apart and going to remove the transmission tomorrow. Hoping all goes well and I can give a positive review, although, a bit concerned on the last TO bearing issue and non functioning clutch.

I certainly have lots of work ahead of me since I will be installing the following items. Spec Clutch 2+, Spec SMFW Steel Flywheel, Bilstien Shocks, Meyle Tie rod ends and M3 front Upper and lower control arms (If they arrive). I will also be relocating my WW meth kit to the trunk and can't wait for the Clutch break in period to be over, that's if all goes well of course. Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    My CM FX400 with their alum flywheel went after 2k miles
    thought I read, amongst the 387459384 posts concerning clutches I've read recently, you managed to get 10k out of the FX400...2k is certainly more in line with my <500 miles. Really hoping this SPEC is the answer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NJrep335i Click here to enlarge
    I hope to have a review on the Spec 2+ soon, car is mostly taken apart and going to remove the transmission tomorrow. Hoping all goes well and I can give a positive review, although, a bit concerned on the last TO bearing issue and non functioning clutch.

I certainly have lots of work ahead of me since I will be installing the following items. Spec Clutch 2+, Spec SMFW Steel Flywheel, Bilstien Shocks, Meyle Tie rod ends and M3 front Upper and lower control arms (If they arrive). I will also be relocating my WW meth kit to the trunk and can't wait for the Clutch break in period to be over, that's if all goes well of course. Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted.
    apologies if you posted elsewhere about this...but what made you go with the SPEC flywheel?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)

thought I read, amongst the 387459384 posts concerning clutches I've read recently, you managed to get 10k out of the FX400...2k is certainly more in line with my <500 miles. Really hoping this SPEC is the answer.
    Part was covered under warranty but yeah that wasn't pretty

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

apologies if you posted elsewhere about this...but what made you go with the SPEC flywheel?
    I really don't like the DMFW for the following reasons.
    1. When you turn off the car it's make some strange noise.
    2. Possible False misfires at high HP levels
    3. Cost to replace Vs. Spec
    4. DMFW contains more components that could essential fail.

The reasons I bought the spec.
    1. Members have had good experience with them
    2. The clutch Chatter with the Steel flywheel is not to bad (Still to be proven)
    3. Reduction in some rotational mass
    4. Cost. A factor to me since I'm also Paying for my Wedding. Other members seem to be facing this as well. LOL.

I'm just about to drop the Transmission and so far everything has gone smooth. I am doing this in my friends shop on jack stands. Hope this gives you some insight on the Pro's and Con's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

thanks for the detail! look forward to any insight as you go thru the install process.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

My Spec 3+ with steel SMF is rock solid. I love it at 1k miles. Shifts so fast and there is definitely no slip, but its still easy to modulate. Hard to explain.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NJrep335i Click here to enlarge
    I really don't like the DMFW for the following reasons.
    1. When you turn off the car it's make some strange noise.
    2. Possible False misfires at high HP levels
    3. Cost to replace Vs. Spec
    4. DMFW contains more components that could essential fail.

The reasons I bought the spec.
    1. Members have had good experience with them
    2. The clutch Chatter with the Steel flywheel is not to bad (Still to be proven)
    3. Reduction in some rotational mass
    4. Cost. A factor to me since I'm also Paying for my Wedding. Other members seem to be facing this as well. LOL.

I'm just about to drop the Transmission and so far everything has gone smooth. I am doing this in my friends shop on jack stands. Hope this gives you some insight on the Pro's and Con's.
    +1

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    My Spec 3+ with steel SMF is rock solid. I love it at 1k miles. Shifts so fast and there is definitely no slip, but its still easy to modulate. Hard to explain.
    Great to hear!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

@dzenno, any of the cars you know that are running SPEC using the OEM DMFW?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)

Not that I know of. However as it is an option I'm sure people are running it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

@dzen no, any of the cars you know that are running SPEC using the OEM DMFW?
    Probably not a good idea over 400whp since you have lower clamp capacity and chances of misfires. Plus the DMFW seems to bottom out or do something funny in high gears and high load beyond these levels. I prefer the steel SMF personally.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I'm starting to think the oem flywheel could be the weak link here. It's in the higher gears, 3-5,when it lets loose, 1st and second seem to hold pretty well. I'm FBO and Cobb 2+ Aggressive and possibly pushing the limits of the oem fw?? I haven't seen it mentioned before about the oem fw having these issues at the 400hp levels...any more detail? just want to get this right, since it will be my third clutch in 3 weeks!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I'm starting to think the oem flywheel could be the weak link here. It's in the higher gears, 3-5,when it lets loose, 1st and second seem to hold pretty well. I'm FBO and Cobb 2+ Aggressive and possibly pushing the limits of the oem fw?? I haven't seen it mentioned before about the oem fw having these issues at the 400hp levels...any more detail? just want to get this right, since it will be my third clutch in 3 weeks!
    Its letting go in 3rd and beyond because you cant put peak torque down in gears 1 and 2. The oem flywheel isn't THAT bad, but if I was doing a clutch job anyway, I would go for SMF.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Its letting go in 3rd and beyond because you cant put peak torque down in gears 1 and 2. The oem flywheel isn't THAT bad, but if I was doing a clutch job anyway, I would go for SMF.

Thanks for chiming in, going to call the shop tomorrow and order the SMF. Tried to give you rep points but not even at 10 yet. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I will also do my clutch soon. Going with Steel SMFW and Spec Stage3+.
    Seems to be the best option at the moment.
    BMW 335i xDrive MT
    COBB Stage2+|Wagner FMIC|CPe-Downpipes|BMW Performance Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Thanks for chiming in, going to call the shop tomorrow and order the SMF. Tried to give you rep points but not even at 10 yet. Click here to enlarge
    Sent you some reps. Just know that the flywheel can be steel or aluminum. The aluminum one rattles but revs faster. The steel one doesn't rattle after break in. On Spec stage 3+ expect a long ass break in. I don't know about 2+ or the others. Last bit, the clutches can be SAC or non-SAC. You need the SMF to match (so four options, SAC or not and steel or aluminum).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast