Close

Page 24 of 44 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Certainly plausible. Really looking forward to you guys nuking this one.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Certainly plausible. Really looking forward to you guys nuking this one
    Yes I hope so. I needed a new clutch anyway since the ACT is dragging, so it works out nicely.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
    Since Shiv's post is deleted:

The problem is the stock DMFW. At these power levels it is causing interference with the CPS, as the two pieces are spinning at different angular velocities.

All the cars that are running fine: Shiv's, CaptainInsano's, FBIS all have a SMFW. My car, tmo335tt, and the other guy all have the DMFW. Dzenno had a DMFW I believe.
    When you say interference what do you mean exactly? I have not read the article yet. But, if the dual mass is the cause, it seems it would have to be that it was causing actual uneven acceleration or running of the crankshaft. Not electrical interference for example. Either way I hope the fix works. Like I said I've never liked or used dual mass flywheels.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    @tmo335tt Has Vishnu compensated you for time, the parts, money, etc.? You are the one responsible for this after all, the great Shiv bumbling about and not being able to solve it. He has you to thank.

I'm not looking for anything in return...I saw that Shiv poseted and did thank me but I think you may have deleted it? It vanished right in front of us.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    When you say interference what do you mean exactly? I have not read the article yet. But, if the dual mass is the cause, it seems it would have to be that it was causing actual uneven acceleration or running of the crankshaft. Not electrical interference for example. Either way I hope the fix works. Like I said I've never liked or used dual mass flywheels.
    From the abstract:
    Typically misfire detection is performed using signals derived from the crankshaft position sensor, which works well for engines with a limited number of cylinders and which are connected to relatively simply drivelines. Torque reactions from the DMF or rest of the driveline can, in extreme circumstances, be misinterpreted as engine misfires, which never actually occurred.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

4 out of 7 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Now for all of the people who doubted me and said I was trolling? You are the real trolls. Feel free to insert your foot into your mout.

You are welcome.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Great to hear there is a solution to this as I was feeling terrible for the guys that paid all this money for ST and the car not to function As advertised. Now I want to see some 1/4 passes!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    This place is so awesome because everyone is so humble Click here to enlarge

Anyways, good to see progress being made.
    FBO / HFS-4 / Cobb PTF tune

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
    Yes I hope so. I needed a new clutch anyway since the ACT is dragging, so it works out nicely.
    When this fix is applied and working please let me know when your going to be at PBIR so I can take vids on the side

Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    From the abstract:
    Typically misfire detection is performed using signals derived from the crankshaft position sensor, which works well for engines with a limited number of cylinders and which are connected to relatively simply drivelines. Torque reactions from the DMF or rest of the driveline can, in extreme circumstances, be misinterpreted as engine misfires, which never actually occurred.
    My read is the author is saying the DMFW can itself cause rotational speed variations in the crankshaft which can then be interpreted as "rough running". I don't know a lot about DMFW mechanics. When the clutch is disengaged pressure from the pressure plate and friction holds both flywheels together? How would the flywheel slipping be any different than the clutch or wheels spinning from the perspective of the crank position sensor?
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tmo335tt Click here to enlarge
    I'm not looking for anything in return...
    Vishnu would be, interesting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tmo335tt Click here to enlarge
    Now for all of the people who doubted me and said I was trolling? You are the real trolls. Feel free to insert your foot into your mout.

You are welcome.
    Just curious, do you have a single mass flywheel in your ST car now? How do you know this is the cause for sure, if you haven't tested the theory?

Sorry if I missed this answer in the numerous pages before.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    HOW DARE YOU MENTION METH!? NOTHING BAD CAN COME FROM IT!! YOU WILL BE CHASTISED BY THE MAN THAT HAD WEEKS WORTH OF MISFIRES AND THEN FOUND THE FIX AS SOON AS AN ISSUE WAS MADE PUBLIC IF YOU SAY THAT AGAIN!!
    LMFAO..It has it's places.. BUT it takes balls of steel to use charge air meth injection with an oem intake and push past the even 80% of the DI system's max duty cycle....or reckless abandon....cant wait for the melted piston pics lol. And really, the dual mass flywheel causing misfires? Isn't the reluctor ring on the crankshaft...yup....hmmm. that's hilarious.this is such good reading...next it's gonna be timing chain deflection under load...not disagreeing that the dual mass fw's belong one place.the local trash heap...
    Last edited by rick@defiv; 12-12-2012 at 09:08 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    tough crowd i guess. shame on us for collectively questioning the all mighty shiv and his followers. years of procede misfiring has finally been solved here. years of phantom misfires have been solved, in 48 hours due to one man.. and yet, nothing has even been tested, but have no fear, the almighty and disciples guarantee its a fix, and we shall FINALLY see 9 and 10 second ST 335's, with 60-130 times and race videos.. and completely forget nothing has been wrong since they were released anyway.. no blown transmission for AT or misfires for MT..

wait.. didnt someone call the AT hold back months ago from inside sources..? nah.. couldnt be..

@tmot335ttyzfxtc

you have a fix already, or you have a theory? I, and apparently a few others are confused..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Man some people just never change. Shiv already made a big announcement on e90 that the fix is in the single mass flywheel because 3 cars that don't misfire have single mass flywheels and the other 3 that do misfire are running DMFWs. While I do sincerely hope this issue is behind us once and for all it just goes to show again how premature his decisions and conclusions are without any real world testing of the "fix" with the single mass flywheels in place.

Shiv, it better work out at this point as that "yuck" way of dealing with this (turning misfire detection) may actually be back as a workaround again Click here to enlarge i mean, really yuck considering its just a checkbox to turn off an emissions control algorithm and its free

Glad you at least took the time finally to thank @tmo335tt for troubleshooting this for so long
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Did you change your spark plugs?
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Man some people just never change. Shiv already made a big announcement on e90 that the fix is in the single mass flywheel because 3 cars that don't misfire have single mass flywheels and the other 3 that do misfire are running DMFWs. While I do sincerely hope this issue is behind us once and for all it just goes to show again how premature his decisions and conclusions are without any real world testing of the "fix" with the single mass flywheels in place.

Shiv, it better work out at this point as that "yuck" way of dealing with this (turning misfire detection) may actually be back as a workaround again Click here to enlarge i mean, really yuck considering its just a checkbox to turn off an emissions control algorithm and its free

Glad you at least took the time finally to thank @tmo335tt for troubleshooting this for so long
    i think thats what will happen, regardless. the "fix" will ultimatley be shutting it off. do we expect any less? I wish we had real unbiased feedback

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Shiv's post says @ttmo335tt is local. Maybe they just threw in a SMFW into his car to test it?

More details would be nice Click here to enlarge
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    Did you change your spark plugs?
    <3
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    Shiv's post says @ttmo335tt is local. Maybe they just threw in a SMFW into his car to test it?

More details would be nice Click here to enlarge
    Nevermind:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu Click here to enlarge
    At this point, I think we have enough data to reliability come to this conclusion. We have 7 single turbo 6MTs with single mass flywheels with no such problem. And 3 single turbo 6MTs with stock dual-mass flywheels with this problem.

Unless I'm mistaken I think even Dzenno, who eventually resorted and routinely recommends disabling misfire detection, also has a stock dual mass flywheel (but now with a fully built head). The latter didn't fix his misfire issue. Because the issue wasn't engine-related.

Shiv
    All speculation right now. Le sigh.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If this issue was happening for three weeks, why is it a day after BimmerBoost puts an article out on it Shiv decides to comment on the issues and the "fix" as well? It puts a smile on my face.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Can't wait to see some performance numbers on these single turbo cars! Since they've all had so much time to drive/enjoy them.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Can I just get my procede flashed at home so that I can run a higher level of e85 lol? It's not asking much...
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    If this issue was happening for three weeks, why is it a day after BimmerBoost puts an article out on it Shiv decides to comment on the issues and the "fix" as well? It puts a smile on my face.
    Youre welcome Click here to enlarge

I wasnt aiming for all this added BS when i posted that he ran, but i sincerely hoped that if it was brought to light, the pressure would help drive the solution.
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So, the only way that this theory adds up on a technical level is that the DMFW is sending adverse reactions all the way through the crank thus disrupting timing chain deflection, creating cam/crank angle reference errors. Boy.theoretically that's like watching a Rube Goldberg machine go through it's paces. I'd be more inclined to buy it IF the reluctor ring was on the FW instead of the crank...I'm not discounting the incredibly slim chance that this is possible, but under full load against 6,000 rpm of rotational load?! Ha...This is great. One would assume the DMFW would be exiting the bellhousing in a relatively violent manner at that sort of disruption level. I'd love to see some oscilloscope screen shots of this going down.....

Page 24 of 44 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast