Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

PTF ProTunes Dyno'd at Undercover Performance (NJ)

1st off, I’d like to thank ProTuning Freaks, specifically @jhershorin for tuning my car. 2nd, I’d like to thank BimmerBoost Sponsor Undercover Performance (@undercover ) for their time on the dyno & rescheduling with me after it snowed last week. For anyone in the New Jersey/Southeast PA-area, I recommend that everyone get over to Undercover & check it out if they have a chance. Everyone there (Garth, Angie & the rest of the Undercover crew) was really cool & was quick to ask me about my car and then show off some of the shop projects: several (4-6?) high HP Supras, a 1,200 WHP Cobra-TT engine & a custom Turbo Trailblazer SS (ALL running the ProEFI of course Click here to enlarge). Wish I had brought my camera, but I’m sure @undercoverangie can post up some additional photos of the shop & some of the builds they’re working on.

So after taking part in ProTuning Freaks ProTune Group Buy back in August & getting tuned in person by Jake from ProTuning Freaks, I finally found the time to get dnyod and see what the car is putting down. Some quick background information about my car & the mods installed:

• 2008 E90 335i (6AT / Stock Turbos)
    • COBB ProTunes for 93 Octane & E85 Blend
    • aFe Dual Cone Intake (That badly need to be cleaned)
    • Akrapovic Catless Downpipes
    • Helix Front Mounted Intercooler
    • Evolution Racewerks Charge Pipe
    • Forge Motorsport Diverter Valves (Yellow Springs)
    • Burger Motorsports Oil Catch Can

Since I had never been dynod before, I decided that I would get dyno numbers for three different tune settings: a Stock Baseline with the mods installed, the 93 octane ProTune, and finally mix in some E85 & run the E85-Blend ProTune. It was between 50-60 degree outside & Undercover has a Dyno Mite dyno. @LostMarine & @BMW_Reck came to watch the results & check out Undercover.

Stock Baseline with Installed Mods: 270 WHP / 290 WTQ
    Click here to enlarge

93 Octane ProTune: 380 WHP / 395 WTQ (Delta Over Stock: 110 WHP / 105 WTQ) **Not sure why there are those dips in graphs 2 & 3, but Garth thinks it’s probably the OEM DME pulling timing – Note that the specific RPM it occurs at changes. We were able to get one undisturbed pull (Graph #1) by reseting the DME before the pull.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

E85 Blend ProTune: 428 WHP / 460 WTQ (Delta Over Stock: 158 WHP / 170 WTQ and Delta Over 93 Octane ProTune: 48 WHP / 65 WTQ). The second E85 pull read 420 WHP / 465 WTQ. Can't remember the values for the 3rd.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

The drivability on both COBB ProTunes is silky smooth (no boost oscillations, consistent power delivery) and beyond thrilled now that the numbers & gains are in. Like I said at the beginning, I’d really like to thank Jake@PTF for tuning my car. Would also like to thank Garth, Angie & everyone at Undercover. If I ever need some work done on my car & for any future projects, they’ll more than likely be my shop of choice.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Congrats on the awesome gains. I cant wait to get my car Protuned by PTF! the shops looks awesome and super clean.
    08 335i | Space Gray | Burl Walnut Wood Trim | Sport pkg | Premium Pkg | LOGIC7 | Navi | Comfort Access

| COBB | Injen DCI | Active Autowerke | Sonic Tuning | E92 Lighting | ER | HKS | BMS |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Pretty impressive results. Definitely interested in getting a protune from Jake now whenever he comes down to Florida.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice numbers!
    I may have missed it-What percentage of E85 did you run on the last dyno? I cannot believe the power people are getting out of the N54! Very impressive for 3.0 liters if displacement.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty impressive results. Definitely interested in getting a protune from Jake now whenever he comes down to Florida.
    E-Tune it

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by eric84405 Click here to enlarge
    Nice numbers!
    I may have missed it-What percentage of E85 did you run on the last dyno? I cannot believe the power people are getting out of the N54! Very impressive for 3.0 liters if displacement.
    I'm running 6 gallons of E85 to a full tank of 93, so ~E40

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Damn, nice numbers you got there. The 270WHP was stock ECU with all the mods on?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eric335 Click here to enlarge
    270WHP was stock ECU with all the mods on?
    270 WHP / 290 WTQ on Stock Tune on strictly 93 octane with mods (Dirty aFe DCI, Helix Intercooler, Akrapovic Catless DPs & Stock DP-Back Exhaust)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Awesome numbers, awesome car, and super fast. Thanks for the invite! Had a great time. Undercover Performance is a great place to go, great people and fast cars! I did manage to snap a couple pictures while there just need to upload them.
    | Jet Black Grills | Red and Black symbols | 18" Avant Garde Type 310 |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Nice. I can't wait to get the Vargas stage 2s in and meet up with Jake so i can shred my stock clutch haha
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Thanks Benzy - I will say you are one devoted guy. He drove down from Philly and we knocked out a pump gas and e85 tune and then he drove back!!! The numbers look great especially considering 270whp fully bolted stock ecu is probably lower than most baselines we see of cars bone stock on stock tunes.

Seeing the dyno - send me a few logs of your e85 map. I want to add some aggression 5700-6200 so I can flatten out that tq curve a little bit more. I typically leave things a bit conservative for peoples daily drivers so I know there is still more safe tq hidden in that 500rpm window.

I am glad to hear that shop gave you good service and a good experience. Tell them to shoot me an email if they want me to travel up there for a dyno tuning day or do some collaborative events. I will be in Colorado this weekend doing 2 dyno tuning days with Andrew from AR Design (and eating at the first ever Chipotle which I consider a religious experience being that it will be the first night of Hannukah for some people lol). I like to get out and travel to different places every now and then so that others can get a protune from people who know the platform inside and out. I am always up for a weekend trip to do some dyno or street tunes if people can get things organized.

@RnmEvo9 I will be in FL (specifically Tampa / Lutz) from December 21-31. I will also be in FL (Jacksonville) at the end of January (but that trip will only be a short weekend and I am there for my nephews 2nd birthday). I would be more than happy to set a day aside somewhere in the December 21-31 time frame to street tune or dyno tune a few cars if there is interest and someone can get a shop to rent out the dyno for the day or at a good hourly price. I will offer discounts for the holidays to help offset cost of the dyno since I do not have any connections down there (here i have shops that offer me flat rate priced sessions since I bring a few people a month).
    Last edited by Jake@PTF; 12-06-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)

Awesome results! I need Jake or Dzenno to come down to Texas!
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Nice results indeed!
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jhershorin Click here to enlarge
    Thanks Benzy - I will say you are one devoted guy. He drove down from Philly and we knocked out a pump gas and e85 tune and then he drove back!!! The numbers look great especially considering 270whp fully bolted stock ecu is probably lower than most baselines we see of cars bone stock on stock tunes.

Seeing the dyno - send me a few logs of your e85 map. I want to add some aggression 5700-6200 so I can flatten out that tq curve a little bit more. I typically leave things a bit conservative for peoples daily drivers so I know there is still more safe tq hidden in that 500rpm window.

I am glad to hear that shop gave you good service and a good experience. Tell them to shoot me an email if they want me to travel up there for a dyno tuning day or do some collaborative events. I will be in Colorado this weekend doing 2 dyno tuning days with Andrew from AR Design (and eating at the first ever Chipotle which I consider a religious experience being that it will be the first night of Hannukah for some people lol). I like to get out and travel to different places every now and then so that others can get a protune from people who know the platform inside and out. I am always up for a weekend trip to do some dyno or street tunes if people can get things organized.
    I've still got some of the E85 blend in my tank, so I'll try to get you some logs soon. I also might be emailing you about a Race Gas Map Click here to enlarge @undercoverangie is the best person to speak with if we can organize enough interest to get dyno tuning down in South NJ (sure it won't take long with these gains & once the N55 gets COBB support).

Side Note -- I am very jealous you'll be eating at the Chipotle.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Very nice results!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    Awesome results! I need Jake or Dzenno to come down to Texas!
    +1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

awesome numbers! Very impressive for those mods!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Real Cool Story

That Chipotle is awesome. I told them I came all the way from DC (which I did) to visit the original location and they gave me a free meal and T-shirt.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)

Excellent gains @benzy89 , she's running strong! Click here to enlarge

Just to throw this out there as some mentioned clutches, we've partnered up with SPEC for their clutches. They have their new steel flywheel getting finished this Friday (tomorrow) which is really cool. I've heard nothing but good things on their stage 2+ (not as much on the 3+ but nothing negative there either) so far in terms of people hitting the drag strip but also driving on the street, both with and without their current aluminum single mass flywheel. Personally I can't stand chatter but their new single piece steel flywheel may prove to be a great option in minimizing that as well as much as possible.

My HPF clutch has been running strong too, zero complaints so far. The only thing that worries me is recent reports of people welding them at the strip. For the street though and big torque its been excellent so far.

We're trying really hard to pick and choose products that have had at least some level of R&D and testing published to the community with proven results before choosing to recommend or carrying them. We won't choose anything and everything out there just to fill up our offerings as I'd like to stand behind our recommendations and fully support them with factual data. If anything ever ends up offered by us and doesn't end up meeting expectations it'll be removed from our recommended hardware offerings.
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 12-06-2012 at 06:16 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Nice results. One of these days I gotta snatch me a Cobb and get ProTuned!!
    John 3:16

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Square&Level Click here to enlarge
    Real Cool Story

That Chipotle is awesome. I told them I came all the way from DC (which I did) to visit the original location and they gave me a free meal and T-shirt.
    I will have to attempt this! I plan on eating there a few times before I leave!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

@benzy89

you should have seen the cars there today.. a very special E46 was in, it was sick, subtle, but sick.. im trying to buy his wheels Click here to enlarge

I think im gonna get my car dyno'd there to get my baseline for future reference

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    @benzy89

you should have seen the cars there today.. a very special E46 was in, it was sick, subtle, but sick.. im trying to buy his wheels Click here to enlarge

I think im gonna get my car dyno'd there to get my baseline for future reference
    This is what I get for living in North NJ Click here to enlarge Any pics of the car?? And let me know if you plan on dynoing anytime soon, I'm just chillin & could always use a "distraction"

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    This is what I get for living in North NJ Click here to enlarge Any pics of the car?? And let me know if you plan on dynoing anytime soon, I'm just chillin & could always use a "distraction"
    +1 Always enjoy seeing cars get dyno'd
    | Jet Black Grills | Red and Black symbols | 18" Avant Garde Type 310 |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BMW_Reck Click here to enlarge
    +1 Always enjoy seeing cars get dyno'd
    Besides the fact we'll basically go deaf once with LM's cutout exhaust (will be worth it)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Besides the fact we'll basically go deaf once with LM's cutout exhaust (will be worth it)
    deaf, then blind by the awesomeness of HP it puts down..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast