Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie, who's running the JB+ ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Newbie, who's running the JB+ ?

Not looking for huge hp, and harming my engine, so I am on the fence with a JB+ (simple cheap) or the JB4 (more hp, more $$) I do not have an oil cooler. Car is a 07 335i with 60K on her.

I tried searching JB+ but nothing came up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    492 Post(s)

It's a great little tune. We still ship maybe 10 per week after all these years. Quick install, quick removal, and if you buy from us 100% trade up to a JB4 within six months. Most just get the JB4, though.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

JB+ is a nice little boost but i suggest going the JB4 route. If you dont plan on getting serious with tuning/mods, then stick with the JB+. I would go with the JB4, as i know youll be back for more mods. They always are Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

I had one, it is a small boost in power, if thats all you plan on doing, go for it!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

Buy the JB4 -- You'll enjoy the added benefits that it comes with: gauge hijacking, code reading, E85 blending, etc
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

0 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jefft Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not looking for huge hp, and harming my engine, so I am on the fence with a JB+ (simple cheap) or the JB4 (more hp, more $$) I do not have an oil cooler. Car is a 07 335i with 60K on her.

I had a JB+ for 3 years, in my '07 that came without an oil cooler. It's a nice little boost controller, however it does have it's limitations. The current BMW software is extremely sensitive to mods, and after the update, I had codes with JB+, even at 50%. You will have to do a solenoid bypass, or you will keep throwing 30FF. Also note that with the stock software, you will throw 30FE in the cold, with JB+.

Consider ditching that stock software, and replacing it with cobb. With cobb, you can run a mild setup for some nice horsepower. I Think all you need for stage 1 is an updated intercooler. I do highly recommend you do an oil cooler retrofit like I did.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    With cobb, you can run a mild setup for some nice horsepower. I Think all you need for stage 1 is an updated intercooler. I do highly recommend you do an oil cooler retrofit like I did.
    Just wanna correct this statement, COBB has 4 stages:
    • Stage 1 -- Completely stock application; intake recommended
    • Stage 1+ -- FMIC required upgrade, intake upgrade required
    • Stage 2 -- DPs and Intake required upgrades
    • Stage 2+ -- FMIC, DPs, and Intake required upgrades

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    I had a JB+ for 3 years, in my '07 that came without an oil cooler. It's a nice little boost controller, however it does have it's limitations. The current BMW software is extremely sensitive to mods, and after the update, I had codes with JB+, even at 50%. You will have to do a solenoid bypass, or you will keep throwing 30FF. Also note that with the stock software, you will throw 30FE in the cold, with JB+.

Consider ditching that stock software, and replacing it with cobb. With cobb, you can run a mild setup for some nice horsepower. I Think all you need for stage 1 is an updated intercooler. I do highly recommend you do an oil cooler retrofit like I did.
    this post is full of mis-information. You should not throw a P30FF code (thats a boost leak code) with a Jb+.

COBB has 4 stages:

Cobb or Jb4 or Proceede will all work and make you very happy OP.

The JB+ will make you happy, just don't expect a lot of change.

Im currently running a Cobb ProTuned with Meth and E85 without an oil cooler.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

I had the JB+ as my first mod, its the gateway drug. I would suggest searching the classified on various bmw forums, you can typically find one for around $100, use it until you want more power, and turn around and sell it for what you purchased it for.
    2007 BMW 335i 6MT / Alpine Weiss

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Just wanna correct this statement, COBB has 4 stages:
    Should probably be noted that intake can be as simple as a better flwoing drop in.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Thank you everyone, jesh, 1st post and i get all this info within 6 hours! Great forum. Still on the fence though, but will start looking for a used JB+

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Thank you everyone, jesh, 1st post and i get all this info within 6 hours! Great forum. Still on the fence though, but will start looking for a used JB+
    I started with the JB+ and ended with it, the JB4 was awesome for power but choppy throttle hampered my aggressive daily driving. Cobb was supposed to be much better, but I didn't care for the power delivery there either and wasn't committed enough to go with a pro tune.

IMO, JB+ on 75-100% setting running 93-95 (mix a bit of e85) octane is perfect for a decent bump and no hassle, my car retains a buttery smooth stock throttle and yet the car is able to do 0-60 in 4 seconds flat, 12.5 @ 110mph 1/4 and all for $115 (used) off e90post classifieds. I originally threw codes but since I mix a bit of e85 in I haven't had a code yet on the 100% setting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    this post is full of mis-information. You should not throw a P30FF code (thats a boost leak code) with a Jb+.
    Please go back and do some basic research before typing on the internet. Do a search for the term: "Solenoid by-pass". First performed by vishnu in the early days of N54 tuning, it is required for all the basic piggy backs: e.g: SSTT, JB+, JB2, etc. If you do not perform the solenoid by pass, you will get code: 30FF.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ATP Click here to enlarge
    Should probably be noted that intake can be as simple as a better flwoing drop in.
    Specifically termed: DCI, or Drop in panel filter, by cobb. But why correct all the Mr. Knowitalls, online?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

0 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by amclint Click here to enlarge
    IMO, JB+ on 75-100% setting running 93-95 (mix a bit of e85) octane is perfect for a decent bump and no hassle, my car retains a buttery smooth stock throttle and yet the car is able to do 0-60 in 4 seconds flat, 12.5 @ 110mph 1/4 and all for $115 (used) off e90post classifieds. I originally threw codes but since I mix a bit of e85 in I haven't had a code yet on the 100% setting.
    Search for my post on JB+, and E85. What a nightmarish experience, to say the least! Also, note that the stock throttle, is heavy on the LAG, as the factory, detuned the vehicle after replacing the HPFP. Cobb's linear throttle setting corrects this issue.

Finally, OP, be aware of the issues associated with E85, before taking the plunge. Besides, some of the other basic issues with the fuel, corrosion, as well as rubber component degradation (gaskets) will be a big problem for many, down the road.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    492 Post(s)

Please go back and do some basic research before typing on the internet. Do a search for the term: "Solenoid by-pass". First performed by vishnu in the early days of N54 tuning, it is required for all the basic piggy backs: e.g: SSTT, JB+, JB2, etc. If you do not perform the solenoid by pass, you will get code: 30FF.
    Like I said we sell around 10 JB+ per week, have for years, so I'm fairly familiar with the support issues. At the default setting it's rare to see 30FF codes. If the car has loose wastegates, etc, then it can come up but it's few and far between. The better fix is just reducing the dial setting as doing the bypass can have side effects (like cold weather 30FE codes, etc). Now if you crank up the dial then those 30FF codes become more common becuase you are asking the DME to add more duty cycle than it expects. Sooner or later it protests.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1673 Post(s)

There's a reason for that.

The JB+ will just make you hungry for more anyway. You should go with the JB4 right away.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1673 Post(s)

Ya looks like someone had a very good concept with this forum, I come across lot's of great info too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have tried to contact a few with a used JB+ but havn't heard back yet.

It sound like if I keep the boost low, I shouldn't see any codes.

What does one do if the codes mentioned above show up? Do I need a dealer to clear? Does the code have any effects on the engine once it shows up?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Specifically termed: DCI, or Drop in panel filter, by cobb. But why correct all the Mr. Knowitalls, online?
    I just wanted to clarify, not necessarily correct. Why must you always try to ruffle feathers?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Let's put it this way.

The JB+ is like a hand job, sure it's nice, but you know what you REALLY want. Go Jb4 do it once, do it right.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

3 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Am I the only one who still holds a grudge against this guy from his nonsense in his E85 thread? I don't understand why people act like they know everything, even when more knowledgeable people attempt to correct him.

Damn you internutz!
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

2 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    Am I the only one who still holds a grudge against this guy from his nonsense in his E85 thread? I don't understand why people act like they know everything, even when more knowledgeable people attempt to correct him.

Damn you internutz!
    You're not the only member of the Turkeybasters-Haters Club

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    turkeyblasters posts are hilarious.... always..... add me to that club
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I believe there's a saying, "Always confident, sometimes right."

NeilClick here to enlarge