Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW F32 4 Series Coupe spotted with minimal camo showing off M-Sport Package and looking sharp, 440i on the way? Spyphotos

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)

BMW F32 4 Series Coupe spotted with minimal camo showing off M-Sport Package and looking sharp, 440i on the way? Spyphotos

Definitely hate the 4-Series name but loving the shape so far. The car still is camouflaged but it appears wearing far less of its disguise in these new spyphotos. Fairly easy to make out the basic shape of the car which looks much sportier than the F30 3-Series. Reports from Autoblog who provided these pictures state the car may be a 440i which doesn't make too much sense considering it will share the 3-Series drivetrain from the new F30. BMW may intend to release a hotter version of the N55 inline-6 cylinder and simply call it a 440i but this would really be the first time a 440i model was rumored.

This is most likely an F32 435i with some M or Sport Package options showing a more aggressive suspension and 19 inch wheels. There probably are minor M-Line body modifications as well on this car as part of an M Sport Package as the "Sport" badges on the fenders denote. Official reveal is set for Detroit in 2013. Enjoy the photos.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I think the side profile is great but I don't know about that side vent thing in black. I guess I will have to see it in person. Based on this, the M4 should look straight up badass.
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the side profile is great but I don't know about that side vent thing in black. I guess I will have to see it in person. Based on this, the M4 should look straight up badass.
    Agreed, I think the M4 is going to look great but time to move away from BMW for me. No more M3's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Agreed, I think the M4 is going to look great but time to move away from BMW for me. No more M3's.
    So....What's next for the #2 Colts fan on this board?
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)

So....What's next for the #2 Colts fan on this board?
    I don't know. I'm probably just going to acquire more property and buy a cheap car to mod for fun while I figure it out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

what is this engine they keep on talking about?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    what is this engine they keep on talking about?
    Isn't it a modified N55?
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)

Isn't it a modified N55?
    Most likely. It's an I6 with turbos and a water/air intercooler. Not sure if it is 3.0 liters but it will more than likely have valvetronic.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I thought only the M3 gets a new engine... this sounds like a redesign if you are installing a water/air...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)

I thought only the M3 gets a new engine... this sounds like a redesign if you are installing a water/air...
    What do you mean? M3/M4 will have the same engine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

What do you mean? M3/M4 will have the same engine.
    440i or whatever is supposed to get a new engine as is the new m3/m4... what is this new 440i engine or whatever? If it is a reworked N55 with a water / air intercooler and different turbo, then it is in essence a completely new engine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Based on what BMW said about its new 1.5 liter 3 cylinder engine being modular / scalable to 4 and 6 cylinders, I'm expecting the N55's replacement to basically be that engine x2. The new 1.5 liter, in case you haven't seen it, makes 177hp and 199lb/ft of torque and sounds pretty sweet so we can easily expect the N55 replacement to have at least 350hp and 350lb/ft if not more!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hope they do something better than this for the brake calipers. Wishing for something nice like the 135i or new ///M vehicles.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)

440i or whatever is supposed to get a new engine as is the new m3/m4... what is this new 440i engine or whatever? If it is a reworked N55 with a water / air intercooler and different turbo, then it is in essence a completely new engine.
    I think the 440i is just a rumor for now. It would likely just be based on the 335i if it does come with just a new tune.

Adding a water/air intercooler or changing a turbo isn't a completely new engine. It would be more of an N55TU than anything else.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I think the 440i is just a rumor for now. It would likely just be based on the 335i if it does come with just a new tune.

Adding a water/air intercooler or changing a turbo isn't a completely new engine. It would be more of an N55TU than anything else.
    Not to argue or anything but that is like saying the N52, N53, N54 and N55 are all the same motor because they have the same displacement and are all straight sixes...

When we all know there is a monumental difference in between all of them...
    Last edited by Q4P; 11-13-2012 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Added More

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)

Not to argue or anything but that is like saying the N52, N53, N54 and N55 are all the same motor because they have the same displacement and are all straight sixes...
    Not at all, the N55 and N54 have fundamental differences.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

The same fundamental differences that this new engine will probably have when compared to the N55. A different turbo setup and the addition of valvetronic hence signifying 2 completely different engines. You say fundamental differences, I say all aluminum and same compression ratio in N54 vs N55. I would argue that if it was a different tune (n54 in 335i vs 1M), then it would be the same engine...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)

The same fundamental differences that this new engine will probably have when compared to the N55. A different turbo setup and the addition of valvetronic hence signifying 2 completely different engines. You say fundamental differences, I say all aluminum and same compression ratio in N54 vs N55. I would argue that if it was a different tune (n54 in 335i vs 1M), then it would be the same engine...
    Let's wait and see what it is. If the 440i if it comes is just different software and an intercooler then it is the same motor. We really don't know what they are doing at this point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Not much different from the E92 overall, though obviously the front fascia is where all the action is. If the rumors are correct, an N54-powered car with intake/tune is going to be just as willing as the next M3/4, and look 98% of the part. An FBO car on E85 will destroy the new M; if the E92 is an 'is' with DCT, the F82 won't even have that advantage.

Do they really think people will shell out $70k+ for an M car that will be equalled by a 5 year old 335 with $2k of engine mods and $4k of suspension work? I think the F82 is in serious trouble.

Current:
    '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '00 S2000
    Previous:
    '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    Not much different from the E92 overall, though obviously the front fascia is where all the action is. If the rumors are correct, an N54-powered car with intake/tune is going to be just as willing as the next M3/4, and look 98% of the part. An FBO car on E85 will destroy the new M; if the E92 is an 'is' with DCT, the F82 won't even have that advantage.
    The M is not just about straightline and will be far more satisfying to drive and capable on the track. The new chassis will no doubt be an improvement and it will be more resistance to heat soak on the track.

Do they really think people will shell out $70k+ for an M car that will be equalled by a 5 year old car with $2k of engine mods and $4k of suspension work? I think the F82 is in serious trouble.
    Um, the E92 M3 sold even though you could go get a bunch of older cars that can outperform it for less money with mods. The F82 isn't in trouble at all, a new M3 is going to sell. If your point was valid no new cars would ever sell.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

The M is not just about straightline and will be far more satisfying to drive and capable on the track. The new chassis will no doubt be an improvement and it will be more resistance to heat soak on the track.
    I get that the M is more of a road weapon than strip, but many of the posts on this board are about drag racing rather than lap times so it's something to be considered. I know personally that the 335is is already resistant to heat soak at the track using the OEM cooling setup.

Um, the E92 M3 sold even though you could go get a bunch of older cars that can outperform it for less money with mods. The F82 isn't in trouble at all, a new M3 is going to sell. If your point was valid no new cars would ever sell.
    The E92 M3 sold because of the S65, available DCT and other distinguishing features that you couldn't get on the 335, and that weren't available on the previous-gen M3. I get it that you can always get older cars and tune them. The problem here is the current 335 is going to be very close to the next M3/4. Someone like me that already has a tuned 335 has no real reason to upgrade other than the badge. Someone that already has an E92 M will be hard-pressed to upgrade because they will see it as essentially a 335.

The guys that must have the latest M will get one, as will people that don't want to mod. If it ends up having 500hp and 3200lbs, it will be compelling to N54 guys. I don't see who else will make the jump.

Current:
    '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '00 S2000
    Previous:
    '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)

I know personally that the 335is is already resistant to heat soak at the track using the OEM cooling setup.
    I highly doubt it will be anywhere near as capable as the water/air setup BMW is testing.

The E92 M3 sold because of the S65, available DCT and other distinguishing features that you couldn't get on the 335, and that weren't available on the previous-gen M3.
    And because it was a brand new M3. The E46 had a inline-6 just like the E36. It really didn't offer anything "new" other than the SMG-II gearbox and in Europe the SMG was available on the E36. It was a brand new car.

The problem here is the current 335 is going to be very close to the next M3/4.
    Not really. Was it a problem the 335 with tunes got close to M3's? The M3 was still the better car.

Someone like me that already has a tuned 335 has no real reason to upgrade other than the badge. Someone that already has an E92 M will be hard-pressed to upgrade because they will see it as essentially a 335.
    That's absolutely fine. I'd rather have a brand new F82 M3 than a tuned E9X 335.

The guys that must have the latest M will get one, as will people that don't want to mod. If it ends up having 500hp and 3200lbs, it will be compelling to N54 guys. I don't see who else will make the jump.
    The N54 market is filled with kids for the most part and a minority of the actual BMW clientele. The new M3 will approach $80k fully loaded, it isn't a car for people who have trouble justifying tunes under a grand now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

whoosh makes valid points, it will truly be funny if a tuned 335i is very comparable in performance to this new m3...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Hmmmm. Not crazy about the fender detail. Everything else looks great. Fender detail may look better once the car is uncovered...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

whoosh makes valid points, it will truly be funny if a tuned 335i is very comparable in performance to this new m3...
    That's the same thing, and reality, of the current 335 vs. M3. A tuned 335 is can be just as fast as an M3. They are still much different cars and target markets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast