Give me an A!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigjae1976 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're terrible with figuring things out!Click here to enlarge

Give me an A!
    No it was only two choice and you said not ESS.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Here's a follow up example of Evolve customer service from today.

Let me explain. We had scheduled a live dyno tune with Salman, at 9:00 am MST time. It should have taken an hour max. However, the video card on the Dyno PC took a dump and we had to run to the computer store to pick up another one. Long story short, we didn't get the rollers warmed up on the dyno until 11:30 am and I had to be back at work for a meeting by 12:30 pm.

At this point, it was approaching 8:00 pm UK time before we got our first run in. Sal stuck around (mind you - he has a family/children) to read the drf files we finally emailed them (3 hours after we promised the baseline numbers before!). By the time I got the car back to work, Sal had a new file with a more cam overlap, altered ignition targets for the insane altitude here, and an 8,200 rpm limit.

I was kindly interrupted by my cell phone buzzing at work around 2:45 pm. It's Sal from the UK asking how the car behaved with the Alpha-N tune. Mind you, it is almost 11:00 pm local time across the pond. This is after me putting his schedule through the ringer today with technical difficulties at the dyno facility causing him delays to get home. My wife would have been pissed if I got home three hours late helping out someone 9 timezones away. Top notch service!

Thanks to all of the Evolve gang, and especially Sal. Witty bugger he is as well.

Mike

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge

Let me explain. We had scheduled a live dyno tune with Salman, at 9:00 am MST time. It should have taken an hour max. However, the video card on the Dyno PC took a dump and we had to run to the computer store to pick up another one. Long story short, we didn't get the rollers warmed up on the dyno until 11:30 am and I had to be back at work for a meeting by 12:30 pm.

At this point, it was approaching 8:00 pm UK time before we got our first run in. Sal stuck around (mind you - he has a family/children) to read the drf files we finally emailed them (3 hours after we promised the baseline numbers before!). By the time I got the car back to work, Sal had a new file with a more cam overlap, altered ignition targets for the insane altitude here, and an 8,200 rpm limit.

I was kindly interrupted by my cell phone buzzing at work around 2:45 pm. It's Sal from the UK asking how the car behaved with the Alpha-N tune. Mind you, it is almost 11:00 pm local time across the pond. This is after me putting his schedule through the ringer today with technical difficulties at the dyno facility causing him delays to get home. My wife would have been pissed if I got home three hours late helping out someone 9 timezones away. Top notch service!

Thanks to all of the Evolve gang, and especially Sal. Witty bugger he is as well.

Mike
    Very nice...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Mike
    That is not the first time I've heard of Evolve doing that!

Top Notch!
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mike
    Sorry to hear about some of the technical difficulties that delayed things a bit. Sal is a very dedicated and committed individual. Great to hear that everyone shares the same experience with him and Evolve as I have over the many years.

Thanks again for always being candid and honest with your posts Mike. Posts like these are what can really raise awareness amidst this very cloudy industry!
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I think I know where I'm getting my E90 tune from.Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Trust me, you will enjoy it! My E90 M3 sounds so much cooler with the Evolve tune because of the different VANOS and Cam Timing...haha.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    That is not the first time I've heard of Evolve doing that! Top Notch!
    That is great to hear.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    Sorry to hear about some of the technical difficulties that delayed things a bit. Sal is a very dedicated and committed individual. Great to hear that everyone shares the same experience with him and Evolve as I have over the many years.

Thanks again for always being candid and honest with your posts Mike. Posts like these are what can really raise awareness amidst this very cloudy industry!
    No worries. Trying to learn and share what I've fingered out over the years.

Don't hesitate. They know their sheeet!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    P.S. We have to ask Norm to join here since he's technically the one who owns a 'boosted bimmer'
    among the three of us, haha
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Who's Norm?
    A friend of MisterEm and I. He recently got an ESS VT2-500 for his E46 M3. MisterEm and I tempt him
    to buy cool things for his car, haha....or maybe he tempts us, not sure.
    Norm has one of the most well executed 46M's I have ever seen. Performance and aesthetics. Cliff
    notes: 2006 CB/Cinnamon. No sunroof 6MT. TCK D/As. Stoptechs all around. SS v1 headers with race cats. 18" square Arc-8's
    with PSS tires. OE CSL bootlid. I am sure I missed some of the other upgrades as well. It is certainly hard-driven and not
    hard parked! Norm is a very smart and nice guy to boot.
    Hey guys; checking in. Finally got over to bimmerboost.
    My first exposure to this forum was Sticky's excellent thread on the S54 / S65 comparison, which helped me decide to empty my wallet on a forced induction kit for the S54!
    No regrets.

Mike, Alex, thank you for the compliments. You guys are more experienced and knowledgeable than I am, by a mile, and I appreciate your input and communications. I am a fan of the E46 M3, and with the mods Mike listed, plus a 3.91 diff, the car is a treat to drive every time. It's at 91,500 miles, a daily driver year 'round. It's you guys fault that I now have SS V1 stepped / HJS catted section 1 instead of the Euro headers and cats, ha ha. Looking forward to the next dyno with Sal to see if we can surpass 440 rwhp SAE.

Mike, your ESS software experience reminded me of a somewhat similar experience in 2010. At that time, I had the Shark injector with the NA stock airbox setup. I specifically asked AJ and Roman if I should return the ECU to stock or send it to them still with the Shark file (this was before E-Flash was available). AJ said no problem, send it as is with the Shark file. So, I did. About a month after I had the ESS software, I had reason to use my cruise control. It didn't work. By then I had also noted a lurch at about 2,100 RPM during deceleration. The cruise worked before with the Shark
    (and with stock as well). The ESS folks insisted that nothing was wrong with the software; it must be a new hardware issue. So, I spent several hundred dollars in doing elimination tests. No hardware issues, including cruise control related switches on steering wheel, brake, and clutch pedals. AJ insisted it couldn't be the software. Having had enough of the back-n-forth, I had a dealer flash the ECU to stock U.S. spec.
    You can guess the rest of the story. Cruise worked, and no more lurching. AJ then offered to re-flash the ECU. I declined. The next year I learned about Evolve.

The ESS VT2-500 hardware is pretty good. At the Denver altitude, 5,300 ft MSL, I use a smaller s/c pulley to get the airflow closer to the kit's advertised boost. The Evolve tune reduces valve overlap and produces smoother driveability than any other software I've used so far. I have over 10,000 miles on the kit (91k miles overall), and the car has never run better.

2006 M3 Coupe | 6MT | Carbon Black Metallic | Cinnamon | No Sunroof | OE CSL Bootlid | 3.91 Diff | TCK | DrVanos | Volk
    StopTech ST-40 | Supersprint V1 Stepped | Bimmerworld C&R | BSW| Carbon Dynamics | Vorsteiner | Radium Engineering | Hoen

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by normcaldwell Click here to enlarge
    My first exposure to this forum was Sticky's excellent thread on the S54 / S65 comparison, which helped me decide to empty my wallet on a forced induction kit for the S54!
    No regrets.

Mike, Alex, thank you for the compliments. You guys are more experienced and knowledgeable than I am, by a mile, and I appreciate your input and communications. I am a fan of the E46 M3, and with the mods Mike listed, plus a 3.91 diff, the car is a treat to drive every time. It's at 91,500 miles, a daily driver year 'round. It's you guys fault that I now have SS V1 stepped / HJS catted section 1 instead of the Euro headers and cats, ha ha. Looking forward to the next dyno with Sal to see if we can surpass 440 rwhp SAE.

Mike, your ESS software experience reminded me of a somewhat similar experience in 2010. At that time, I had the Shark injector with the NA stock airbox setup. I specifically asked AJ and Roman if I should return the ECU to stock or send it to them still with the Shark file (this was before E-Flash was available). AJ said no problem, send it as is with the Shark file. So, I did. About a month after I had the ESS software, I had reason to use my cruise control. It didn't work. By then I had also noted a lurch at about 2,100 RPM during deceleration. The cruise worked before with the Shark
    (and with stock as well). The ESS folks insisted that nothing was wrong with the software; it must be a new hardware issue. So, I spent several hundred dollars in doing elimination tests. No hardware issues, including cruise control related switches on steering wheel, brake, and clutch pedals. AJ insisted it couldn't be the software. Having had enough of the back-n-forth, I had a dealer flash the ECU to stock U.S. spec.
    You can guess the rest of the story. Cruise worked, and no more lurching. AJ then offered to re-flash the ECU. I declined. The next year I learned about Evolve.

The ESS VT2-500 hardware is pretty good. At the Denver altitude, 5,300 ft MSL, I use a smaller s/c pulley to get the airflow closer to the kit's advertised boost. The Evolve tune reduces valve overlap and produces smoother driveability than any other software I've used so far. I have over 10,000 miles on the kit (91k miles overall), and the car has never run better.
    Welcome to good ole' Bimmerboost Click here to enlarge

It's been a blast shooting ideas back and forth among @MisterEm, yourself, and I. It's always fun tempting one another to do lightweight mods to our wallets and bank accounts, haha.

I really am pleased to hear that you also gave Evolve a chance in both your former NA and now FI setups! I can't wait to see what type of numbers you put down with the bigger and better headers Click here to enlarge

When you have time, you should definitely post up a thread about your beast!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

No regrets.

Sweet deal Norm! We both were taken to the cleaners by ESS with no courtesy "reach-around." My favorite part of Bboost, is I can post a thread comparing an ESS tune versus Evolve without it getting deleted. What a concept!! Click here to enlarge

Welcome to good ole' Bimmerboost Click here to enlarge

It's been a blast shooting ideas back and forth among @MisterEm, yourself, and I. It's always fun tempting one another to do lightweight mods to our wallets and bank accounts, haha.

I really am pleased to hear that you also gave Evolve a chance in both your former NA and now FI setups! I can't wait to see what type of numbers you put down with the bigger and better headers Click here to enlarge

When you have time, you should definitely post up a thread about your beast!!
    Alex's modification advice has killed my 3 year old son's chance of Dad paying his way through an Ivy league school. I will send him your way in 15 years! All kidding aside, I've learned a lot from Alex and Norm. I've been forced to eat crow on a couple of occasions!

Welcome!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

I LOVED mine. you wont regret it. I often want to flash that as the base tune for my car and load the s/c tune on top of it due to how smooth it is

http://bimmerboost.com/showthread.ph...65-Tune-review
    Last edited by LostMarine; 11-29-2012 at 05:23 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    I LOVED mine. you wont regret it. I often want to flash that as the base tune for my car and load the s/c tune on top of it due to how smooth it is

http://bimmerboost.com/showthread.ph...65-Tune-review
    Why not just have Evolve custom tune your VT1-535+ Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

That would really get the ESS fanboy's panties all in a bunch.

Better yet.... run the ESS on the dyno full tilt. Flash Sal's evolve tune over it and admire the delta. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Id rather abstain from promoting more drama. the forums are rife with enough of it already.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Point taken.

I would still be interested in seeing the tune from Evolve compared to ESS on your car/kit. Strictly a performance comparison. After chatting with Sal the other day, it sounds like they have a very firm grasp on tuning a boosted S65 (or S54).

Also, based on the sub-par tune Norm received with his brand new VT2-500 kit, I would imagine your cam-overlap and ignition targets are lacking for a boosted car as well. AJ's bin files have proven that ESS does not have the VANOS or cam profile control as they suggest.

ESS's hardware is top-notch, no doubt. Their customer service and software/tuning are severely lacking. A man (or company) should know it's limitations.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Will Evolve touch ESS' stuff? I know there's a lot of rivalry in the FI world and usually companies won't touch other's stuff. Haha...that sounds funny.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Will Evolve touch ESS' stuff? I know there's a lot of rivalry in the FI world and usually companies won't touch other's stuff. Haha...that sounds funny.
    Norm's ESS blower kit is now tuned by Evolve. Ask him if he wants to go back to ESS's tune he originally paid for! He posted earlier in this thread.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

+1000 Click here to enlarge

If I were in LM's position vehicle wise, no doubt that would be my move. Drama or no drama..

@normcaldwell Post up some pics of your M3!
    09' CTS-V Sedan- Black Raven, Auto, Recaros, Stock for now..

E60 M5 SMG - Sapphire Black exterior, Black interior,
    Full leather, Ventilated comfort seats, Aluminum trim, Alcantara Headliner, Matte Black front/side grills, 20% window tint, Plasti Dipped Black Wheels, Hardwired 9500ix, RPI scoops(Red), Block off plates, BMC filters (c/f delete), Evolve-R Stage 2 Tune, Muffler & Secondary Cat Delete

P500s S6 DSC OFF- ALL DAY, EVERY DAY.. Unless it's wet out

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TZ04XJR Click here to enlarge
    Post up some pics of your M3!
    I will as soon as I can get my rep points to 5. Just started posting, and I'm at about 4.3 now.

2006 M3 Coupe | 6MT | Carbon Black Metallic | Cinnamon | No Sunroof | OE CSL Bootlid | 3.91 Diff | TCK | DrVanos | Volk
    StopTech ST-40 | Supersprint V1 Stepped | Bimmerworld C&R | BSW| Carbon Dynamics | Vorsteiner | Radium Engineering | Hoen

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I will as soon as I can get my rep points to 5. Just started posting, and I'm at about 4.3 now.
    Well that was easy..Click here to enlarge And welcome to BB, plenty of other true enthusiast over here. Didn't take but 10 minuets for me to figure that out.

-TZ
    09' CTS-V Sedan- Black Raven, Auto, Recaros, Stock for now..

E60 M5 SMG - Sapphire Black exterior, Black interior,
    Full leather, Ventilated comfort seats, Aluminum trim, Alcantara Headliner, Matte Black front/side grills, 20% window tint, Plasti Dipped Black Wheels, Hardwired 9500ix, RPI scoops(Red), Block off plates, BMC filters (c/f delete), Evolve-R Stage 2 Tune, Muffler & Secondary Cat Delete

P500s S6 DSC OFF- ALL DAY, EVERY DAY.. Unless it's wet out

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TZ04XJR Click here to enlarge
    Well that was easy..Click here to enlarge And welcome to BB, plenty of other true enthusiast over here. Didn't take but 10 minuets for me to figure that out.

-TZ
    WOOHOO!!! Time for @normcaldwell to make a nice thread about his E46 M3!!! He has all the nice goodies on his beast!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)

No regrets.
    Excellent, welcome.

I love that s54/s65 article personally, some of my best stuff.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)

Evolve has cleaned up other companies messes before but that stuff stays off the forums...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast