Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RB turbo question possible problem.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

RB turbo question possible problem.

First of all this post is not a bash towards RB at all because I would recommend these turbos to anybody and the numbers they have put down speak for themselves. They are well worth the money and I would buy them again no questions asked.

Now the reason of my post is latley I have been noticing a puff of burnt oil smoke when coming to a stop. Thats the only times the car smokes. My previous experience with turbocharged vehicles and this exact symptom is that the seals in turbo has gone bad causing this. My question is has anybody with rbs every exprienced this. I bought them new in box from another forum member. They only have at max 3k miles on them. Never seen over 18 psi. I was just wondering if anybody else has experienced anything else like this from these turbos? THanks.
    07 e92 335i 6spd FBO for now

03 z06. 402 with a YSI. 910whp 756wtq at 15psi 93 and meth. Current

2007 e90 335 6at Rb turbos, Fbo, meth 11.7 at 124mph 17psi 93 and meth. Sold

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Do you have a catless exhaust setup?

There was a long debate on another forum on this problem, and IIRC lack of backpressure was determined as one of the possible causes. Maybe @dzenno@ProTuning-Freaks can chime in.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

As far as I know there were some people with RB smoke problems, but I didn't read about it lately. However I do know about 2-3 cases of RB smoking.

But you could however check your PCV system also, it can lead to such problems as far as I read. Also, what oil do you use ? One oil that has the property of swelling and better sealing turbo seals (due to the ester oil base) is Motul 300v, my car doesn't consume a drop of oil with this (5w-30), whereas before it consumed like 0.5 liters every 10.000km. OEM BMW oil is also very good and I think this oil is the safest to use.

You could also weld some 100-200 cell catalytic converters to help with smoke (that is, if you are catless right now).

I have a set of RBs on the way to me...Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you have a catless exhaust setup?

There was a long debate on another forum on this problem, and IIRC lack of backpressure was determined as one of the possible causes. Maybe @dzen no@ProTuning-Freaks can chime in.
    Yes I have fully catless set up. They have been good no smoke what so ever. Then just out of no where they started to puff when coming to a stop.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cstavaru Click here to enlarge
    As far as I know there were some people with RB smoke problems, but I didn't read about it lately. However I do know about 2-3 cases of RB smoking.

But you could however check your PCV system also, it can lead to such problems as far as I read. Also, what oil do you use ? One oil that has the property of swelling and better sealing turbo seals (due to the ester oil base) is Motul 300v, my car doesn't consume a drop of oil with this (5w-30), whereas before it consumed like 0.5 liters every 10.000km. OEM BMW oil is also very good and I think this oil is the safest to use.

You could also weld some 100-200 cell catalytic converters to help with smoke (that is, if you are catless right now).

I have a set of RBs on the way to me...Click here to enlarge
    I use factory castrol oil. Yes I was also thinking possibly the pcv system also. I am going to check that. Nice man you will enjoy them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by litz4244 Click here to enlarge
    Yes I have fully catless set up. They have been good no smoke what so ever. Then just out of no where they started to puff when coming to a stop.
    If you still have your stock exhaust, I would put it back on to see if things improve/change.

I have a set of RBs at home and will put them on the car once I get the "no-boost" problem solved (see my thread). The wait is killing me!
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

I had a little smoking coming to a stop with my stockers until I got my valves cleaned, now there are no issues at all. I have 54 k miles on my car and have never cleaned the valves. What is your mileage and have you ever had your valves cleaned? I'm not sure if it's a fix but my car is fine now so who knows?

Evolve Supercharged ///M3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    I had a little smoking coming to a stop with my stockers until I got my valves cleaned, now there are no issues at all. I have 54 k miles on my car and have never cleaned the valves. What is your mileage and have you ever had your valves cleaned? I'm not sure if it's a fix but my car is fine now so who knows?
    I can only see a connection if your valve cover was leaking somehow and the valve cleaning process forced the shop to properly re-tighten the valve cover (probably with a new gasket). Maybe you also changed the valve cover/PCV entirely ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

If you think it's the PCV can't you just vent it to the atmosphere?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I'm fully catless and have this with my RBs. I had the valve cover changed at the same time as the turbos and then 10k miles later I changed the PCV valve for the RB one. Oil consumption has stayed at about 1quart every 7-8k so I'm not overly concerned. I haven't go my stock cat back so can't switch back to it easily and I'm using NLS and 2step which could ruin the secondary cats.
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cstavaru Click here to enlarge
    I can only see a connection if your valve cover was leaking somehow and the valve cleaning process forced the shop to properly re-tighten the valve cover (probably with a new gasket). Maybe you also changed the valve cover/PCV entirely ?
    I have no clue, shop did all the work. You don't think the valves caked up will cause some smoking once hEated up? I don't know, I'm prob totally wrong, just trying to help the OP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    I have about 56k on my car. Yes I cleaned the valves right before i put the meth on.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idnan Click here to enlarge
    I'm fully catless and have this with my RBs. I had the valve cover changed at the same time as the turbos and then 10k miles later I changed the PCV valve for the RB one. Oil consumption has stayed at about 1quart every 7-8k so I'm not overly concerned. I haven't go my stock cat back so can't switch back to it easily and I'm using NLS and 2step which could ruin the secondary cats.
    Did yours smoke since you put them on or did it just start one day?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1641 Post(s)

Now the reason of my post is latley I have been noticing a puff of burnt oil smoke when coming to a stop.
    Hasn't this been somewhat of a common complaint?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Hasn't this been somewhat of a common complaint?
    I won't lie I honestly didn't research it. But from what everybody is saying it is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1641 Post(s)

I won't lie I honestly didn't research it. But from what everybody is saying it is.
    The questions is why though? What is causing it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The questions is why though? What is causing it?
    I am guessing the seals in the turbos. When my Gsr integra did it and my 50 trim Evo did it, it was the turbos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1641 Post(s)

I am guessing the seals in the turbos. When my Gsr integra did it and my 50 trim Evo did it, it was the turbos.
    So how do you fix it and why isn't this avoided in the first place?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

Mine smoke too on decel. Like if you stab the throttle from idle then let off you'll see a plume of smoke. I have the RB pcv valve upgrade, no OCC, standard castrol 5w-30. Never had my valves cleaned, 42k miles. Not tune related.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I wonder if a pair of high-flow cats would help with this problem ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Did yours smoke since you put them on or did it just start one day?
    I noticed it after a month or two but that was straight after I went fully catless.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Mine smoke too on decel. Like if you stab the throttle from idle then let off you'll see a plume of smoke. I have the RB pcv valve upgrade, no OCC, standard castrol 5w-30. Never had my valves cleaned, 42k miles. Not tune related.
    On decel at slow speeds (close to idle) mine smokes much more too. I remember pulling into a gas station up to a pump and as I stopped a massive cloud of smoke followed me. Mine did it with and without an OCC and on 5w40 ester synthetic oil and on the euro Castrol Edge 5w30.

What is your oil consumption like @themyst ?
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Sucks to see smoke after a nice upgrade like RBs. Probably caused by a lot of things. Garret's web faq had some interesting thoughts: http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/faq

I haven't had lots of experience with turbo cars but some of the thoughts scraped off of the web from other platforms are:
    1) intake tract obstruction causing vacuum on compressor side, drawing out oil (should be airflow based?)
    2) Crankcase overpressure. Hard to measure without a psi gauge but again, I think it would be more load based to smoke
    3) turbo oil drain restriction. Seems possible on a bad install (very few) or perhaps a crankcase overpressure
    4) lack of turbine backpressure leading to larger oil pressure differential causing leak into exhaust stream. Again, seems unlikely to happen at low load.
    5) excessive oil pressure to CHRA. Seems more likely when cold or with different types of oil. When is oil smoke worst? Cold or warmed up?

If you car smokes on decel in gear or idle (high engine vacuum conditions), that's usually intake valve guides wearing out and leaking oil. Turbo engine complicates that diagnosis obviously but I wouldn't rule out valve guides. I forgot if @dzenno noticed significant guide wear on his head and if he had oil smoke and when. One would expect it to be more noticeable once fully catless. Check the plugs. If they are getting some oil, it may well be valve guides.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

on my old car i consumed more oil with the rb pcv valve, not sure why but it reversed when i went back to oem so it played a roll. But i never had any smoke...

is this what vargas could be trying to eliminate but his latest update?
    2009 FBO RB'd mtech e92 6AT - 11.3@126
    2008 FBO CR e82 6M - 12.0@120 - Sold

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    is this what vargas could be trying to eliminate but his latest update?
    They don't have the turbos yet...I would say it's way too early to eliminate something Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

I'd like to her from more RB users, I'd be extremely disappointed if my rb's smoked. Depending on how Vargas does I was planning on upgrading to either rb's or Vargas

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast