Thread: E85 compatible storage containers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

E85 compatible storage containers.

Finally got off my rear and drove 30 miles to try some E85 mix running the Cobb E30 tune and so far I can definitely feel the difference to the point that I would like to start playing around with it and possibly stocking some in the garage. What containers are suitable for storing this? All I can find cheap on craigslist are poly containers from cleaning chemicals. Or if somebody has any other ideas as garage space is limited so I don't want six 5 gallon containers laying around.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I would use 5 gal drums or a 55 gal drum. You can usually find them at your local VP dealer
    Tired of being cold? I sell pieces of paradise! Click here to enlargePM me for more info!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would use 5 gal drums or a 55 gal drum. You can usually find them at your local VP dealer
    they need to be 100% airtight though... ethanol absorbs water

you really want some sweet sweet water in the engine?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

55 Gallon Drum + Handpump is the best way to store E85 in the quantities you're describing. I'm not sure where you live, but if you live somewhere it gets cold you might not actually be using authentic E85, but instead the "Winter Formula" which is closer to E70
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

In Dallas TX I was hoping to get by with these 30 gallon Poly containers as I can easily haul 30 gallon in the back of the SUV 50 is getting pretty heavy for me and the GF. It's airtight as it was used for cleaning chemicals but I know E85 can only work with certain things. As for the winter blend I figured alot of these stations were doing that when I saw the minimum 70% sign figured I would get some extra and keep adding to the point of where the logs show some complaining and then back off from there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    In Dallas TX I was hoping to get by with these 30 gallon Poly containers as I can easily haul 30 gallon in the back of the SUV 50 is getting pretty heavy for me and the GF. It's airtight as it was used for cleaning chemicals but I know E85 can only work with certain things. As for the winter blend I figured alot of these stations were doing that when I saw the minimum 70% sign figured I would get some extra and keep adding to the point of where the logs show some complaining and then back off from there.
    I wouldn't personally use a Poly container, No particular reason, just It does not seem like a good idea, a 55 gallon drum is what I would use, just build a little ramp and roll it out of your vehicle ..
    Tired of being cold? I sell pieces of paradise! Click here to enlargePM me for more info!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

For over a year I used a 55gal plastic drum that I picked up from a local car wash they had cleaning chemicals in and bought a $25 hand pump from Napa.
    Place the drum on a dolly to wheel around the garage!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted-M Click here to enlarge
    For over a year I used a 55gal plastic drum that I picked up from a local car wash they had cleaning chemicals in and bought a $25 hand pump from Napa.
    Place the drum on a dolly to wheel around the garage!
    That sounds more like what I'm looking at but the 30 gallon size. I see them locally for 10 bucks, I know farmers and other companies always have a bunch of these laying around. SUV is only a jeep liberty so it's not that big and even 30 gallons will probably last me most of the year. As long as there's no worry about breakdown from it being in there sounds like I've found what I'm looking for.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

HDPE (high density polyethylene) should be good. It's used for 1 quart oil containers and gas containers. It's probably the plastic used for the cleaning chemical drums you found on Craigslist. It's so inert, it is used for milk jugs and other food storage as well.

http://www.calpaclab.com/Chemical-Co...hart-s/789.htm
    From above link: "Ethanol 95%: LDPE / HDPE at 20C-50C show little or no damage after 30 days of constant exposure."

Look for the recycling symbol on the plastic drum. Should say "HDPE" and be coded with the number 2.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)

Moved to general automotive.
    $100 fantasy football league, register here (ONE SPOT OPEN): http://www.germanboost.com/showthrea...ague-2014-2015

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    HDPE (high density polyethylene) should be good. It's used for 1 quart oil containers and gas containers. It's probably the plastic used for the cleaning chemical drums you found on Craigslist. It's so inert, it is used for milk jugs and other food storage as well.

http://www.calpaclab.com/Chemical-Co...hart-s/789.htm
    From above link: "Ethanol 95%: LDPE / HDPE at 20C-50C show little or no damage after 30 days of constant exposure."

Look for the recycling symbol on the plastic drum. Should say "HDPE" and be coded with the number 2.
    Perfect I'll ask about that one.