Close

Thread: Vargas Turbos Update

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Vargas Turbos Update

What's up guys, as promised here is an update today on the progress and some new additions to the upgrades as well as a updated time frame. I have a few exciting additions I would like to mention as well.

The first is, I have sourced upgraded high performance TD04 thrust parts that use a high strength alloy thrust bearing instead of the typical bronze that uses an upgraded design with an extra oiling hole to keep more oil where it is needed and keep the temps down, as well as thrust flinger, and thrust collar that can only be used with this thrust. These upgraded parts will add quite a bit of thrust load strength and give the turbos a much longer lifespan when pushing them hard and also help curb the oiling problems. These upgraded thrust parts will be available as an option on all stage 2 turbos.

I will also be offering as an option full TD04 thrust parts including the step gap compressor piston ring as an option for stage 1A and B, to do this I have to have custom flingers and collars made to fit the stock wheels.

Next, I am working closely with a company that makes aerospace impregnated alloys which require no lubrication at the high speeds, loads, and heat these turbos see. I will be having some custom journal and thrust bearings made and will be modifying some bearing housings to do some testing. What I am trying to do is eliminate this oiling problem these turbos are plagued with. If the testing is successful these parts will also be offered as an option for the turbos as well. As you can see I am not just trying to make another hybrid like what is already on the market. I am trying to bring the community something new and better.

The prices are not changing at all from the last announcement of the included parts. But now that I have sourced these performance thrust parts, they are not cheap so I have to offer these as an option. the upgraded thrust parts option will most likely come in somewhere around $250, keep in mind you do not need these parts. The turbos are fine with the standard TD04 thrust parts but if these are available I would be doing a disservice to not offer them. The option to upgrade stage 1 to TD04 thrust parts and seal plate will come in around $150 again not needed but just better. The impregnated bearing system and oil modification option I haven't got my prices back yet so I'll keep you guys posted.

Now to the time frame. For Stage 1, I have confirmation the custom 14T wheels will ship to me Nov 16th meaning as soon as I get them I can get a set on the test car and ship as soon as we test successfully. Stage 2, I received an email from my vendor yesterday stating the full back wheels are still 30 days out due to death in the family leading to the engineer being gone for over a week. I know this is disappointing but when you are having custom parts cast you cannot dictate to them the speed at which they are made. Basically what that means is I wont see them til december. But what it also means is. I will pull all my cores down and have them all machined and waiting for these parts so when they arrive. We balance, assemble, and ship to the betas. As always if anyone who has put money down does not want to wait, please feel free to call and we can get your money back to you.

Honestly I am excited about these turbos and I have spent many nights waking up and writing notes on my phone, test fitting, having samples made, having different ones made, all to try to make these not just another hybrid upgrade. I am really excited to see the finished product. If I told you guys how much I have spent on developing these things you would laugh. I basically have to sell 25 sets to make my money back. So as I said this isn't a money making deal for me.

Ok on to stage 3. Long Block FINALLY arrived. Will be going on the stand monday and fabrication can start. So while we wait on parts we can be doing something. I have no solid release date for stage 3, but were working on it.

As always thank you guys for the interest and support.Click here to enlarge

I'll now do a break down starting at stage 1 and go from the turbine side and go through the turbos, then do the same with stage 2, then stage 3

Stage 1A

Stock turbine housing no upgraded wastegate flapper
    Stock turbine wheel
    Stock bearing housing
    Stock internals
    14T compressor wheel
    Modified compressor housing to accept 14T wheel
    Brand new factory actuators
    Stainless steel wave washer and spacer to eliminate all play of the rod end on the wastegate arm

Option - Full TD04 thrust parts with step gap piston ring on compressor side

Stage 1B

Stock Turbine housing upgraded to stainless steel Billet wastegate flapper and arm
    Stock turbine wheel
    Stock bearing housing
    Stock internals
    14T compressor wheel
    Modified compressor housing to accept 14T wheel
    Stainless steel wave washer and spacer to eliminate all play of the rod end on the wastegate arm

Option - Full TD04 thrust parts with step gap piston ring on compressor side

Stage 2

Modified turbine housing to take TD04 fullback wheel
    Wastegate flapper and arm upgraded to full stainless billet
    Proprietary fullback TD04 turbine wheel
    Step gap turbine piston ring
    Proprietary journal bearings
    Full TD04 thrust parts including flinger, collar, thrust, and seal plate
    Proprietary TD04 step gap compressor piston ring
    15T compressor wheel
    Modified compressor housing to accept 15T wheel
    Stainless steel wave washer and spacer to eliminate all play of the rod end on the arm

Option 1 - High performance thrust parts with alloy thrust bearing with matching flinger, and collar
    Option 2 if testing is successful - Aerospace impregnated journal and thrust bearings, modified oiling system to eliminate inherent MHI oiling problems

Stage 3
    Custom exhaust manifolds with vband outlets
    Twin Garrett GT or GTX turbos 3 size options of each to choose from
    Custom down pipes utilizing all factory o2 placements
    Oil and water lines
    Intake piping
    Charge piping to intercooler inlet
    All hardware and misc parts. (bolts, vacuum hose, fittings, etc)
    Last edited by Tony@VargasTurboTech; 11-02-2012 at 04:41 PM.
    Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
    N55 World Record: 560WTQ, 11.4 ET / 123MPH
    N54 Stock Frame (100% E85) World Record: 645WHP / 654WTQ
    N54 (ACN 91 octane only) World Record, Stock Motor: 585WHP / 537WTQ
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Website - Email

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1716 Post(s)

Can we see pricing info for each stage and option?
    Like BoostAddict on FaceBook, get +20 rep and tacos*: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...-FaceBook-page

* Tacos sold separately

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can we see pricing info for each stage and option?
    The pricing hasn't changed and is on the website. But here I'll post it here for easy access. Stage 1A $1499, Stage 1B $1799, Stage 2 $2499, Stage 3 TBD. Stage one TD04 thrust option $150 / TBD, Stage 2 upgraded thrust parts option $250 / TBD, Impregnated bearing system TBD. Also just a heads up we offer stock replacement turbos for $799 for the set, and we can also add the TD04 thrust upgrade with step gap piston ring for stock replacements as well. So basically if you want to stay stock but want them to last a little longer, this is the way to go.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Website - Email

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Good stuff tony!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Sweet.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)

Nice update!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

YAY! great update!
    when would be a good time to tell you if i wanted the 1&2 options, if the option 2 works. or just give us pre order guys a deadline.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Great update!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)

I am getting a lot of questions about the upgraded thrust parts, and just to clarify they will 100% be available before I ship betas. So if any of my beta testers or pre-orders want to add this option just shoot me an email of a call and I'll make sure to install these parts and add the option to the invoice. As far as the oiling fix with the impregnated bearing parts. This remains to be seen, as I will want to fully test these parts in a real world environment before I would put them in a customers turbocharger.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Tony just shot you an email, let me know if you get it. Id like to add the option to my order
    335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)

Looking forward to stage 3 updates of course Click here to enlarge good luck with it
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I Can't wait for stg2 numbers/feedback. I may go that route this spring.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

What's the status of DPs, manifold and intake? Idea, CAD file or prototype?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    What's the status of DPs, manifold and intake? Idea, CAD file or prototype?
    Intake, you mean the intake piping? Fabricating intake piping requires a good fabricator who understands how to fit things where they are not supposed to fit. DP's same thing, you get the manifolds built the turbos mounted and then he fabricates dp's to fit, once you have the first set, jigs are made and you bang them out. Its the same way custom turbo kits have been made for years. As far as the manifold, hand welded for the first unit then rendered into a cad file and cast.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    I Can't wait for stg2 numbers/feedback. I may go that route this spring.
    You are my rolemodel.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

jPEGS JPEGS JPEGS
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV