14 Post(s)

bump for updates!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    bump for updates!
    What's up buddy! Updates coming soon...if you followed over on M3forum, we had a minor set back w/the ECU going wonky on us! Think we have it figured out now, and new dyno's should be completed by this weekend, fingers crossed for some good numbers!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Just a quick update guys: I've got good news and bad...so, we've been able to work around my wounded ECU and dial in the driveability portion of the tune;however, on our second pass to get the top end power back we 'bricked' the ECU!Click here to enlarge So, I need to see if I can find someone local to unlock the ECU.

It's not all bad though, we picked up another 10HP/Ft. LBS. torque in the mid-range and the driveability is awesome! We're doing lots of little things w/the tuning to really make the Alpha-N platform perform as close to a MAF system as possible-in terms of driveability. We also ended up w/a peak of 350HP without the AFR being completely dialed back in (currently running @ 12.0:1), and some more VANOS tweaking to take place. We feel confident that we will at least get back to the previous 360HP, and probably even surpass that by a few ponies!Click here to enlarge

As soon as I can get my ECU unlocked, we'll get back back to the dyno to finish up the WOT tuning! I'll update in another week or two...Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did the ECU lock due to a write/rewrite limit that was reached? I recall Evolve mentioning that there was a particular area of the ECU that was subject to this, and that they write to a different spot eliminating this worry.
    Last edited by Kidrobot; 10-08-2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: misspelling

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kidrobot Click here to enlarge
    Did the ECU lock due to a write/rewrite limit that was reached? I recall Evolve mentioning that there was a particular area of the ECU that was subject to this, and that they write to a different spot eliminating this worry.
    Yup, I think we were at 55 flashes when it bricked up, and yes...I recall reading that too, but we're not exactly sure how that works, and I don't think Evolve does charity work.Click here to enlarge If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kidrobot Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by stosh1 Click here to enlarge
    Yup, I think we were at 55 flashes when it bricked up, and yes...I recall reading that too, but we're not exactly sure how that works, and I don't think Evolve does charity work.Click here to enlarge If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears!
    I flashed my car a bazillion times and gotten a few updates from BMW over the 11 years of owning this car. I must have done something different or my DME is crazy because even with the Evolve tune, I did brick my DME as well. Evolve does have the tools and ability to fix it though.

Stan, not sure if you saw my post in your other thread. If you are willing to ship your DME, EWS, and one key, you can send it to RPM Motorsports in Canada. They should be able to do it for you.

https://www.rpmmotorsport.net/Home.html

I hear they do good work. Goodluck man and I can't wait to see your build done!!
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Thanx Alex, yeah, I did see your post and I appreciate the help! I'm still trying to source a local solution first if possible, considering even replacing the ECU alltogether as well...if all else fails, then I guess I'll have no choice but to send it out to have it unlocked. Still waiting to hear back from NickG also...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Thanx Alex, yeah, I did see your post and I appreciate the help! I'm still trying to source a local solution first if possible, considering even replacing the ECU alltogether as well...if all else fails, then I guess I'll have no choice but to send it out to have it unlocked. Still waiting to hear back from NickG also...
    Good deal man!! I can't wait!! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1716 Post(s)

w/the tuning to really make the Alpha-N platform perform as close to a MAF system as possible-in terms of driveability.
    How will you do this? How will it respond in altitude?
    Like BoostAddict on FaceBook, get +20 rep and tacos*: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...-FaceBook-page

* Tacos sold separately

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1716 Post(s)

@NickG ... might get you his attention.
    Like BoostAddict on FaceBook, get +20 rep and tacos*: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...-FaceBook-page

* Tacos sold separately

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    How will you do this? How will it respond in altitude?
    My very vague understanding is that because the MSS54 DME has a Barometric Pressure Sensor, change in altitude and temperature are not a problem.

@stosh1 probably has a much stronger stronger understanding of how the DME works, so hopefully he can elaborate a bit more.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

3 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Just a semi-worthwhile update to my thread here, copied & pasted from the 'other' forum:

What's up everybody!? Alright, thought we'd give it one more go on the dyno just for good measure...before I tear it back down again. We pulled a little more fuel up top and played around w/the timing a little bit too, and well...I think the results speak for themselves!?!?Click here to enlarge We managed to eek out a few more ponies, and torque is now up to 275ft lbs. The car is making 300HP by around 6,000ish rpms and then hitting 360+HP @ 7,700rpms and holding it all the way to 8,500rpms. The car is running very, very well!Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Just a semi-worthwhile update to my thread here, copied & pasted from the 'other' forum:

What's up everybody!? Alright, thought we'd give it one more go on the dyno just for good measure...before I tear it back down again. We pulled a little more fuel up top and played around w/the timing a little bit too, and well...I think the results speak for themselves!?!?http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/smilies/thumbsup2.gif We managed to eek out a few more ponies, and torque is now up to 275ft lbs. The car is making 300HP by around 6,000ish rpms and then hitting 360+HP @ 7,700rpms and holding it all the way to 8,500rpms. The car is running very, very well!http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/smilies/dance.gif

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/8920/367hpdyno.jpg
    Beautful results. I'm sorry I might have neg repped you by mistake. Apologies.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Stan, can you please share some of your horsepower and torque with us? You have too many as it is, haha.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Very nice Stan. Keep us posted.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Beautiful looking dyno. Very jealous of a 8,500 rev range.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    Beautful results. I'm sorry I might have neg repped you by mistake. Apologies.
    Thanx Ejaz, no worries!
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    Stan, can you please share some of your horsepower and torque with us? You have too many as it is, haha.
    Nope, I'm greedy, I need every N/A HP I can get ahold of...Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Very nice Stan. Keep us posted.
    Thanx Mike, will do, although I'm a little lazy posting over here...not good at managing more than one forum at a time!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eric335 Click here to enlarge
    Beautiful looking dyno. Very jealous of a 8,500 rev range.
    Thank you sir! Ahh, 8,500 is just a number...
    Last edited by stosh1; 11-30-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: grammar

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Thanx Mike, will do, although I'm a little lazy posting over here...not good at managing more than one forum at a time!

Thank you sir! Ahh, 8,500 is just a number...
    No worries. What is going on with the tear down?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1716 Post(s)

What's up everybody!? Alright, thought we'd give it one more go on the dyno just for good measure...before I tear it back down again. We pulled a little more fuel up top and played around w/the timing a little bit too, and well...I think the results speak for themselves!?!?http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/smilies/thumbsup2.gif We managed to eek out a few more ponies, and torque is now up to 275ft lbs. The car is making 300HP by around 6,000ish rpms and then hitting 360+HP @ 7,700rpms and holding it all the way to 8,500rpms. The car is running very, very well!http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/smilies/dance.gif

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...67hpdyno-1.jpg
    That looks prettty strong man...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

No worries. What is going on with the tear down?
    Hey Mike, probably looking at doing another head & applying some things we learned on this first one + some new stuff, then probably add some bored ITB's to top things off. Considering adding either V1's or Epic headers if they ever release them for another couple of HP. Might drop the pan and inspect the crank bearings during the downtime as well, as the motor has seen numerous 8,500rpm pulls now! Should add up to 380+HP if our calculations are right-still on a factory rotating assembly/displacement.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    That looks prettty strong man...
    Thanx Sticky, yeah, it continues to surprise us...considering the 'relatively' low budget approach, and factory displacement.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I think $10k is so worth it for track use. I'm seeing more and more E46 M3s on the track these days. To spend an extra 700 RPMS in gear with 4.10 gears? That's HUGE! When you look at the long term effects of FI and heat this really starts sounding like a good bang for the buck mod for performance and reliability. I take an FI'd car to the track and it is a MASSIVE PIA. Just little complications that really add up. I'd gladly pay 2x as much as n FI kit to get the same power out of my car NA...if it were possible.

When the FI guy spends 1/2 as much and their engine needs a rebuild...a $10k NA head starts looking like a bargain.

For street only use? Yeah, wouldn't go this route.

Kudos to Stosh1 and great work!

Couldn't agree with you more. N/A power vs. boosted is analagous to an apples to testicles comparison.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Hey Mike, probably looking at doing another head & applying some things we learned on this first one + some new stuff, then probably add some bored ITB's to top things off. Considering adding either V1's or Epic headers if they ever release them for another couple of HP. Might drop the pan and inspect the crank bearings during the downtime as well, as the motor has seen numerous 8,500rpm pulls now! Should add up to 380+HP if our calculations are right-still on a factory rotating assembly/displacement.

Thanx Sticky, yeah, it continues to surprise us...considering the 'relatively' low budget approach, and factory displacement.
    You think boring the throttle bodies would really help any? Considering the E36 had what.. like a 63mm single throttle body and the E46 M3 has ITB's.. each around 50+mm (both guesses off the top of my head).. seems expensive for little to no gains. Now if you could bore/smooth the shape of the ITB's if they look turbulent.. maybe get a few horses out of it.. but still likely very expensive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ZooyorQ Click here to enlarge
    You think boring the throttle bodies would really help any? Considering the E36 had what.. like a 63mm single throttle body and the E46 M3 has ITB's.. each around 50+mm (both guesses off the top of my head).. seems expensive for little to no gains. Now if you could bore/smooth the shape of the ITB's if they look turbulent.. maybe get a few horses out of it.. but still likely very expensive.
    It's pretty easy to figure out if you need more runner volume. Just calculate air volume through the existing ITB bore, and look at the velocity.
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast