Close

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: 125,000km - Pulling the head

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd be way too nervous to drive a car with that much work in the engine. I probably wouldn't go over 4k rpms.

Congrats on the build.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by farbmw Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    NICE! And about time. lol when are you going to dyno.
    This or next Saturday

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pits200 Click here to enlarge
    I'd be way too nervous to drive a car with that much work in the engine. I probably wouldn't go over 4k rpms.

Congrats on the build.
    nah, she's taken quite a beating before, this is nothing Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    This or next Saturday
    Make it next Saturday, I think I can get that day off.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Congrats Dzenno!!!! Its about fckn time!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Grats bro! Shoot me a text when you dyno, I will pop over for the fun.
    2008 E92 M3 - 6MT - Jerez Black
    | Evolve Tuned |

2015 MK7 GTI - DSG - Pearl Black
    | Eurodyne Tuned |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

so jealous !!!!! grrrr !! i want my car back already !

is it me or does it sound different ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

oooooooh now THIS is the sort of development i like to see Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Awesomeness!!
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Congrats DZ! It's been a long road. I hope everything goes well. The Dyno awaits!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    This or next Saturday
    It did not happen? Is your car running ok, however? How about a 60-130 run? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Car is running well..no dyno yet...wanted to go yesterday but the shop didnt get back to me, probably booked...as soon as i have some results I'll post them up...one thing i can mention is i'm able to run a lot more aggressive tuning on pump gas..picture E85 level boost and timing Click here to enlarge i'm using vdyno and numbers look very promising given zero timing corrections

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Going to Champion? Buzz me and I'll join you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)

Car is running well..no dyno yet...wanted to go yesterday but the shop didnt get back to me, probably booked...as soon as i have some results I'll post them up...one thing i can mention is i'm able to run a lot more aggressive tuning on pump gas..picture E85 level boost and timing Click here to enlarge i'm using vdyno and numbers look very promising given zero timing corrections
    Can you put up a total list of what has been done to the head in its entirety?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

so exactly what has been done to the engine?

just the headwork or what?

I thought there'd be solid gains purely from head modifications, but THAT much with zero internal work or otherwise?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Stock inlet tubes or upgraded?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by orange Click here to enlarge
    Going to Champion? Buzz me and I'll join you.
    Let you know.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    Can you put up a total list of what has been done to the head in its entirety?
    Ported, polished, valve job, new +1mm exhaust valves, kept existing intake valves, replaced intake/valve springs with fresh OEM ones, new custom guides, new OEM seals. Flow numbers are in this thread posted earlier.

A thicker version of the OEM gasket, that is recommended when swapping a head, has also been used. It is 0.3mm thicker than the original gasket. The head bottom was lapped so some material was also taken off from the head, not 0.3mm though so compression has been dropped a tiny bit. Anyone with experience there, any idea how much this compression drop might be? Anything sizeable?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    so exactly what has been done to the engine?

just the headwork or what?

I thought there'd be solid gains purely from head modifications, but THAT much with zero internal work or otherwise?
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    Stock inlet tubes or upgraded?
    Headwork only. Kept the stock intake tubes and everything else as I'm trying to gauge if there are gains and how much. On the same pump gas tune I ran before getting the head work done the car was considerably slower/weaker which is something I didn't expect. I expected to be able to bolt the head up, run the same tune and see gains instantly. Not the case. So next up I added 2deg of timing to my previous pump gas map which used to run about 3-4deg down low to about 9-10deg up top, ran the car, no timing corrections, power went up. This was strange as I wasn't able to touch timing even a bit before without encountering timing corrections. I added another 2deg of timing, ran it, picked up more power, zero timing corrections. I added more boost, ran it, again picked up power with again zero timing corrections. I was getting worried that something was off as this level of boost/timing was never possible with our pump 94 octane. I ended up with maxed out boost for the stock TMAP, about 20-21psi almost to 6k and then dropped it to about 17psi at redline with about 11-12* of timing all the way through before the car would start to complain and correct. Making more power along the way each time. Now, some of this added power has compensated for the initial drop in power on the same tune that I used to have. But some of it has added power on top of what I used to have according to vdyno done in same conditions same stretch of road as before. Given quite a bit of flow was picked up on the head at higher lift, an upgraded cam may pull out more top end power but being unable to keep the boost flat to redline at 20psi its hard to see that power rise all the way to the top due to boost taper past about 6k rpm.

We'll see what this does. It sounds promising. Keep in mind that the original pump gas numbers are in the range of 415-425whp on a tune that has ZERO timing corrections. I'll be happy and very satisfied if I can get another 30whp on top with a tune that runs with ZERO timing corrections on the same pump gas, more with a tune that is more tuned to the "edge" for all out. In other words, aiming for a pump gas tune first, no timing corrections and as much boost as it'll run "safely" (not going past 70% wgdc anywhere especially not near redline).

My meth kit is not hooked up on the car yet as I'm in the process of rewiring it to run a trunk mounted tank/pump/etc. Once pump gas tuning is all sorted I'll get meth hooked up and push on further. I really wonder where timing will end up with meth on top of this setup Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Anyone with experience there, any idea how much this compression drop might be? Anything sizeable?
    CR is simple, as the name states, its just a ratio. Volume ratio between BDC and TDC. If you know the size of a particular cylinder, you can re-calc the CR.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ATP Click here to enlarge
    CR is simple, as the name states, its just a ratio. Volume ratio between BDC and TDC. If you know the size of a particular cylinder, you can re-calc the CR.
    That's the thing, I don't Click here to enlarge Many online calculators out there but I don't have all the data required.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Do you know any of the variables (other one being stroke)? You had the head off and don't know the cylinder diameter? The other variable would be if you changed the head geometry at all, I was assuming you didn't.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)

Do you know any of the variables (other one being stroke)? You had the head off and don't know the cylinder diameter? The other variable would be if you changed the head geometry at all, I was assuming you didn't.
    Didn't really dive into measuring up internals, no. Head geometry hasn't been touched.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Looking up as much info as I could using a compression ratio and these figures 84mm Bore, 75mm stroke, piston dome (guessing close to a 0 given the recesses and actual dome) .2 which works out to about a 38.5 CC size to get a 10.2:1 with a standard 1.22 gasket size. If I change it to a 1.52 gasket size it spits out about 9.88:1 CR. Anybody else get the same numbers?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    Looking up as much info as I could using a compression ratio and these figures 84mm Bore, 75mm stroke, piston dome (guessing close to a 0 given the recesses and actual dome) .2 which works out to about a 38.5 CC size to get a 10.2:1 with a standard 1.22 gasket size. If I change it to a 1.52 gasket size it spits out about 9.88:1 CR. Anybody else get the same numbers?
    Did you guess at the bore/stroke numbers?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Did you guess at the bore/stroke numbers?
    That's what I pulled from wiki. It's the internet so if somebody sees anything wrong we can plug in different numbers. So far with that though I'm surprised at the difference but with this engine being overbore it makes sense.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

SOB I can see already that it returned a diff engine on my search. Dam search engines suck anymore.

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast